197 to 200 first month of ownership

As some of you know I recently traded in my R27 for a GW200. Since owning the car I've done quite a few miles so I thought I'd write a little review of my first month of ownership...

The car has now done around 5k miles and had an oil and filter change as soon as I bought it at 4.1k miles. Oil used was Elf Evolution SXR. An ITG panel filter was fitted on receipt of the car and I have been running it on Shell V Power with an average MPG of around 24.

Firstly about the torque and power delivery...In essence it's phenomenal. Since changing to decent fuel and oil the card feels soooo fast, much faster than my 197 ever was and without flat spots or cold start issues. I used to own 172 Cup and the 200 is easily as quick as that (people are blown away by the responsiveness and power of this little beast).

The chassis as you can expect is sublime, it cuts through corners like scissors through paper. The damping is very good although I will say the cup suspension can be annoying as it's rock hard and is not for the faint hearted!

The build quality feels solid, no rattles or creaks. I'm confident things will stay this way and I love the standard digital climate control (something I didn't have on the 197). The recaro seats are now made of a slightly softer fabric which appears to be more resistant to fading (time will tell on this though).

The gear ratios and exhaust note make a big difference coming from the 197. No longer do I get that buzzing noise above 50. It's suttle and quiet when you need it to be and raving mad when you feel like putting some power down!

To conclude I am very happy with the 200 and think for the money it's an absolute winner! This is the fourth RS Clio I've owned and technically by far the best. I've definately fallen for the looks aswell, it has a the stealthy minimalistic stance.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for sharing - it sounds like it addresses all of my niggles with my R27!

Shame the MPG isn't a touch better though

Yeah to sum it up pretty much everything that the 197 doesn't quite get right is sorted.

The fuel consumption has to be taken with a pinch of salt as the engine is young and also I'm driving quite hard with quite a few short trips. It will definately improve with time.

Problem I have is I've just started a 4 way car share to work, which is me and 3 others, covering 70 miles a day. Not done it yet in my R27, but if it's a bit tight, I may need to get something bigger :worried:

Otherwise, I'm sold on a 200 :smile:

That would be a shame, personally I think in Mk3 Clio you'll be fine as it's pretty reasonable on space. Obviously the extra weight would equal less economy...

The 200 with its quieter cabin and better gear ratio's definately makes it nicer for a drive with passengers. The extra weight you'll be carrying will make the car rev a bit higher and the 200 certainly copes better and will return better mpg on a lengthy commute :smile:

Great write up, with everything i wanted to hear!

Mine arrives in about 3 weeks, and i cant say ive ever been so excited about a new car :smiley:

Im really suprised they are 'that much' better/different to the 197!?

I didnt even realise the cup chassis and brakes were any different!

How did the R27 fair when compared to your Cup?

^Right! OK! I just thought whilst they were upgrading everything else the brakes wouldve changed too! Bit of guestimate on my part there! lol

The cup chassis are different though yes?

is the build quality that much better?

my r27 was fine in terms of rattles till about 15k now there's loads (at 28k now), i think I've had every panel pulled out.

me too- think I might start saving!

Adrian test drove one on monday apparently-been waiting for his write up too......be interesting to see how it compares..

Great little read that! Im really glad that you like it so much! Im also surprised that there is such a noticeable difference between the 200 and the R27 if that is the case then its a good buy not just buying a newer version of the same product. It sounds like a completely different animal. I thought that it was just subtle tweaks etc to the chassis, may have to take one out for a spin and see the differences for myself!

I hope there isnt that much noticeable difference as i am buying a well spec'd 197 based on my drive in a 200 that i wasnt overly impressed with coming form the 182!

It was just the build, chassis and newness factor that signed me up all of which i will be getting in the 197 all be it with a different front end to the 200! Spec for spec saving about 5/6k probably!

For some reason i was under the impression they had changed the front end and rear abit, given it new Recaros and a slightly more poweful engine but the build, chassis and brakes were no different! lol

No the chassis in the Cup version is a lot stiffer. Tis a little bumpier but it corners much flatter with less body roll.

No the chassis in the Cup version is a lot stiffer. Tis a little bumpier but it corners much flatter with less body roll.

I cant really compare the two but im really happy with the cup suspension on the 197 yes its firm but iv recently done a 600 mile journey and I found it soo comfortable and still competent on the twisties, I would be worried that its been overdone on the 200 and could be uncomfortable. Has anyone done a decent length journey that can comment on it?

I meant cup chassis 197, cup chassis 200 mate!

Thats what i was going on! I never drove a basic 200 and im not buying a basic 197! I just assumed as long as i stuck to cup chassis in the 197 i wouldnt be dissapointed!

Only time will tell i suppose.

It's the lower torque which would be the most obvious I'd imagine. Still a great car, you won't be disappointed after you have had it for a while and appreciate its nuances

The track on the 200 is wider. I think this is the reason the steering is slightly more weighted than the 197. It certainly feels more alive in the corners, with even better turn in response. The springs are also stiffer which also does amazing things in corners but on bumpy roads you do feel it bounce around more. The damping is better, some sort of dual controlled system. On decent roads it feels quieter and better behaved.

Perhaps it's me but the 200 just feels a bit tighter and the interior has some nicer touches. Some things are laid out differently, the stereo looks better and has RCA and USB connectivity in cabin. The dials are nicer and the shift beep is soooo addictive! lol

I did 36k in the R27 and 75k in the 172 Cup. My opinion is that this is almost a step back to the more raw 172 days, but with refinement. The engine improvements have become more noticable after the oil change, V-Power and a few hundred miles to allow the ECU adjust to my driving style. I can't comment on the fella that took the 200 out but a low milage demo car that's been run on dog turd fuel will probably not give you the full picture.

Has anyone on here seen this video? I think it clearly demonstrates how good the 200 is. Through the corners it's just unstoppable....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK3wZf9IWVY

Last edited: