197: 197 vs 3 Series M Sport..

I'd like peoples opinions on the BMW 3 series M sport.

Last night I was driving to my parents and had a guy driving right up my arse in a 3 series M sport. I let him overtake me and stupidly thought it'd be a fun game to play catch up with him...

I've never seen such a non performance based saloon being driven so hard, I really had a good job to keep up with him.

What are the stats on these 3 series like? As I'm only going by what I've seen on parkers? Looked so planted to the road, something I wouldn't expect from a non performance based saloon.. If it was an M3 it'd be a different story!

I can honestly say it was the handling what impressed me, coming out of corners the Clio had the leg's on him.

RWD and very good weight distribution as standard.

Apart from that I know little about them to be honest.

was looking at a 325d M-Sport, 3.0 engine, 0-60 7 seconds, top speed 150mph. 203bhp/400nm torque. Thats standard, superchips claim to be able to map another 60bhp and 120nm torque from that engine.

So thats a claimed 260bhp/520Nm of kick in the back of the head torque.

sounds tempting doesnt it.

I had a 320i M sport e92 (coupe) before it was stolen! no power in that model but the handling was superb. You just cannot beat a nice BMW.

Had E46 M3 & 330ci (which I supercharged) and sold a few months back E91 330d M sport. BMW best all rounder ever owned. They are a car that you feel every details been given thought to. Miss them all and could see myself in 335d or 335 petrol. Map the 335d and its as quick as the M3 easy.....

330d manual just passed me like I was nothing on some straights, I caught up through the corners. He didn't say but I'm pretty sure it was mapped because I test drove a standard automatic and it seemed his had more performance.

I was going to sell the 200 and get a 330d before getting my company car... Which allowed me to keep the Clio :smiley:.

330d manual just passed me like I was nothing on some straights, I caught up through the corners. He didn't say but I'm pretty sure it was mapped because I test drove a standard automatic and it seemed his had more performance.

I was going to sell the 200 and get a 330d before getting my company car... Which allowed me to keep the Clio :smiley:.

Miss mine, should have kept both but that felt a little stupid in current climate......

pulled away from a 330d the other day, and the driver was flat out! I know because he was a friend of mine and he will so annoyed the clio was faster!!! was racing a 535d the week before and it was completely even, he was behind me and couldnt make up any ground on me! and that was up to 120mph when we both had to slow down. he then went past me (a sneaky overtake) and I had him pegged at the same 3 car lengths all the way to 130mph, then we both stopped being lunatics and slowed down! on the e90 handling, one word brilliant my mum has a 320d and it is pretty epic in the bends, such balanced handling gives so much confidence when you are really pushing it. sometimes i prefer the bmws handling to the clio!

pulled away from a 330d the other day, and the driver was flat out! I know because he was a friend of mine and he will so annoyed the clio was faster!!! was racing a 535d the week before and it was completely even, he was behind me and couldnt make up any ground on me! and that was up to 120mph when we both had to slow down. he then went past me (a sneaky overtake) and I had him pegged at the same 3 car lengths all the way to 130mph, then we both stopped being lunatics and slowed down! on the e90 handling, one word brilliant my mum has a 320d and it is pretty epic in the bends, such balanced handling gives so much confidence when you are really pushing it. sometimes i prefer the bmws handling to the clio!

As long as your car is standard the fact you beat your mate is purely down to the fact he had a bad run. Both the 330d and 535d as stock cars do 1/4 mile in the mid 14 secs (98 mph) and the clio 197/200 will see low to mid 15s at around 94 mph. At 130 mph the 535 would be walking away easily.

A few days after I got my clio I had a bash with a 325d coupe. Was very close/me just pulling on him(duel carriageways)... But all the black **** coming from his exhausts put me off the idea of the performance diesel IMO anyway

Im sure the m-sport has different dampers and springs too the normal 3series or atleast the 1 series does, i know a guy with the 1series m-sport and he loves it

My dad had a 330d M sport and my clio would have 2 car lengths till 110mph easy. The M sport all have stiffer and lower suspension to normal ones, hench the M-Sport.

My wife's now got a 120d MSport and whilst it's not all that quick, it's a cracking drivers car. It's now got me looking at the 3-series. Ideally I'd have a 335i/d MSport, but may have to settle for a 330 for the time being.

Very interesting, my brother in law sold his golf R32 the other week and picked up a 325 M-sport for my sister. I'm trying to talk him to taking it on track, I was wondering what the speed difference would be between it and the Clio. TBH I've no doubt he'd hammer me either way lol (he's a pretty handy driver being an ex track instructor)

These are very rapid. anything 33X you will struggle with.

I remember Autocar having a 335d & 335i in its 0-100-0 tests a few years back. Both cars were pulling sub-5.0 sec 0-60 and were in the 12's for 0-100.

BMW peg back the stats as otherwise they are two close to the M3.

That is standard Remapped both are monsters.

My next car will probably be a touring version of one of them.

Well, after reading this thread, I'm practically signing the cheque in a BMW dealership!

You guys sell it well for a bunch of Clio owners haha. :rofl:

Interesting read/stats.