197 Wheel Bolts

luke197

Platinum Member
Hi All,

I’ve been looking for some new wheel bolts for a few days now, as my original one have gone all rusty.

From what i understand the bolt size is 14x1.5mm and 25mm thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if i could use bolts with a fixed seat, because I’m struggling to find ones with a loose seat like the Renault ones I’m changing over.

Cheers Luke

I've got some covers on them at the moment, rust seems to appear around them and in the bolt hole. Must be the damp or something, looks horrible. Plus the locking wheel nuts are rusting to and a cover won’t fit over them. :thumbdown:

Hi All,

I’ve been looking for some new wheel bolts for a few days now, as my original one have gone all rusty.

From what i understand the bolt size is 14x1.5mm and 25mm thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if i could use bolts with a fixed seat, because I’m struggling to find ones with a loose seat like the Renault ones I’m changing over.

Cheers Luke

Hi there

Reading this I am assuming you just want straight replacement bolts for the OE Renault ones, which as you say are 25mm with a standard 60 degree taper.

I have replaced a few sets of OE bolts (both on my previous rallyes and 172 cup) with some aftermarket ones from these guys with no probs.

I prefer OE ones as the quality will be better as they have to meet a stricter sign off criteria, but these will do the job.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-x-BLAC...Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item483f9f20b3

Yes the ones renault use have a flat seat with tapered piece as a separate. (probably so they can use on several wheels)

I've cleaned mine up with fine gauge wire wool and some auto sol. I find if you do them every few months they look like new. I'll post a pic if I remember!

Couldn't you put a coat of hammerite and bake it for 30mins?

I've done this in the past and it is a good alternative. Infact I did my locking nuts with a good zinc primer followed by smooth hamerite. (the pic looks naff but the flash has made it look like a pants finish)

The thing is decent wheel bolts will have a good treatment, some sort of zinc plating usually, this is really hard level of protection to achieve with just hammerite and a primer - all depends on your budget and how long you want them to last.

As somone said, if it's a quick cheap cosmetic fix your after, get caps or whack on some hammerite. My wheel bolts were nackered and corroded so much I thought I'd get a new set for the same cost as the paint, primer + effort.

P1000888.jpg
P1000889.jpg

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think il just get some new ones, I’ve already cleaned them up on a wire wheel a few times now tbh. I quite like the look of your black bolts James, can you remember where you got them from?

So getting ones that don’t have the loose seat on shouldn’t really be a problem then?

Luke

yeha they will always go rusty/oxidised no mater what mate, I would just buy covers cus as soon as you use a socket on painted ones it takes the paint off

Thanks for all the advice guys. Think il just get some new ones, I’ve already cleaned them up on a wire wheel a few times now tbh. I quite like the look of your black bolts James, can you remember where you got them from?

So getting ones that don’t have the loose seat on shouldn’t really be a problem then?

Luke

Not a problem at all, as long as it's the 60 degree taper, the right pitch (thread) and length they will be fine. I've never seen any separate pieces like on the Renault ones and I've been in the trade for years. My colleague is a wheel engineer for this company (http://www.apptech.it/) so I'm going to ask him out of interest what its all about.

I brought mine here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/16-x-BLAC...Wheels_tyres_Trim_Nuts_ET&hash=item483f9f20b3

Here we go, that just a bit of wire wool and some autosol

5f.jpg

5e.jpg

I might lacquer them up if they show signs of corroding, but they seem ok for now. Just do it every few months to keep em ship shape