197 Won't Start!!

JamesB

Platinum Member
Hi,

Was a normal evening, got home, had dinner, saw that my new main beam bulbs had come (Phillips Xtreme Vision +130% H7). So I decided to fit them, after I had fitted the bulbs and was putting the fuse cover back on and the battery cover back on the xenon's started to flicker (don't ask why I had them turned on), I turned off the main beam (new bulbs) and they stopped. I wanted to take the car out for a drive to see if when the car was running if they would still flicker, however the car wouldn't start and it said on the dash that ASR had been disabled and the steering wasn't locked. after a few attempts it also said "braking Failure".

I have tried most suggestions on the forum, rocking the steering and getting in from the passenger side and they don't work.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks (and sorry for another "car wont start forum post")

Not intentionally, i did remove the alarm pressure sensor as i didnt want to remove the air intake bit, however i have removed it before when changing the sidelights to LEDS and had no problems, when I press start it makes a noise as if the battery isn't charged enough to turn the starter motor, have out on charge tonight just in case the full beam and xenon's ran the battery out, don't think they would have though?

Your battery has had it most likely. When the battery is not supplying enough voltage some systems in the car don't power on hence the warning messages. If you have a 197 there at least 7 years old so the batterry is too. Also check the batterry with a volt metre to see whether it's putting out 12 or 13V

Well it is running now, charging over night didnt work.. jumped it off a 14 plate golf and it worked, just have to see how long for... i hate having to say a german saved the day :nope:

It won't last long if it's knackered as it won't take in any charge anymore from the alternator. I'd get a new battery soon as it might not start next time when your away from home, which is more of a pain.

Well it is running now, charging over night didnt work.. jumped it off a 14 plate golf and it worked, just have to see how long for... i hate having to say a german saved the day :nope:

I would hope a 14 plate car can start and provide a jump start...even a 14 plate Renault would have done it :poke:

get the battery changed as soon as!

As above, would def be replacing that battery asap to save you any hassle in the very near future mate. Can pick them up cheap enough.

I would test it whilst the motor is running to check it's not the alternator as well.

Should be running up to 14v. With the car running and everything on. Heating, lights, radio etc

Well i've used it a few days and it seems to be okay, gonna try get a new battery this week to be on the safe side, thanks for your help everyone 8)

(alternator was 14v btw)

would try to get a lighter battery too..some weight saving while getting a new one..