1st gear problems

Had my clio for 6 months now over the last few weeks the car will not go into first gear after reversing off the drive! Last week it was in renault and they changed the gear box oil to thinner type, however the problem happened again! Just wondering if anyone has had the same trouble?

Could be the clutch?
Try selecting another gear first like 4th then put it into 1st.
We have an old vehicle at work that wont select 1st but if you put it into 3rd or 4th first it goes into 1st ok.

it always happens to me mate. from a cold start, all i do is wait for 'oil level' on dash to go off, then pop it into 3rd then 4th then reverse and it works a treat.

Early 197's ie: pre 08 had a problem with the gearboxs (or so i've been told on here)

Mine's the same though (57 plate) wont go in gear from cold. So i start it in gear and wait for it to dip below 1000 revs before setting off, and she's fine

It ain't just the older Clios that suffer the sticky 1st gear when cold. All the 200s suffer the issue also. Just gotta be patient that's all.

Mine is a 09 and still has 6 months on the warrenty so thats why a had it booked in the garage. It doesnt happen every day when it does happen it wont go into any gear had to force it into second to pull away as a was in the middle of road with traffic building up behind.

I heard from my dealer mechanic that bad clutch release cylinders cause the cold 1st gear problem.
Renault Japon applies the warranty on this problem, so you can change the cylinder free of charge here.

I heard from my dealer mechanic that bad clutch release cylinders cause the cold 1st gear problem.
Renault Japon applies the warranty on this problem, so you can change the cylinder free of charge here.

This is particularly interesting as before i had the new engine fitted (and clutch slave cylinder :wink:) i had this problem all the time.

Since then as said new cylinder and no issue....!

Luckily for me that was pure chance getting the issue solved as the new cylinder came with the engine and new clutch!

He mechanic said the bad clutch release cylinder can not release the clutch only when its cold.
It wont go into the 1st gear because the clutch is engaged.

Re-igniting an old thread here, but my poor car is very disapproving of this cold weather!

2nd gear feels so stiff first thing, really taking an age for it to warm up at the minute! Seems to take a little more force than necessary for the first few minutes to manipulate the gears!

How long till the warmer weather arrives??

Re-igniting an old thread here, but my poor car is very disapproving of this cold weather!

2nd gear feels so stiff first thing, really taking an age for it to warm up at the minute! Seems to take a little more force than necessary for the first few minutes to manipulate the gears!

How long till the warmer weather arrives??

What gearbox oil you are using? ELF NFP is better in cold tempeatures.
Maybe try it first?

small.jpg

What gearbox oil you are using? ELF NFP is better in cold tempeatures.
Maybe try it first?

small.jpg

Could be time for a fresh batch of gearbox oil to help alleviate the stiffness! Service in a couple hundred miles so might be worth a mention!

It's not so much of a problem, more of a frustration in the lack of smoothness in gear changes from cold! Requires more force than I deem necessary for it to slip into second! Once warmed up it'll run a treat!

Dont worry, my clio is just same before gearbox oils are in full temp. I currently have old oils but i will change nfp later. When we had -20celsius it was funney :smiley:
I had to be very very gentle first, it was so stiff to use. And i mean gearbox.

Reactions: RossWoods93
Dont worry, my clio is just same before gearbox oils are in full temp. I currently have old oils but i will change nfp later. When we had -20celsius it was funney :smiley:
I had to be very very gentle first, it was so stiff to use. And i mean gearbox.

Makes it hard for me to complain about cold conditions and the effect they have on gearboxes when its on -1 celcius here then!!!

Mine has been exactly the same Ross - it was really reluctant today, but it has been minus 3... As long as it's fine when it has warmed up that's the main thing :smile: