advice on oil please

so had a awful experience with a garage that i recently used and got a service done and a few other bits on bobs. he never wrote on the receipt what grade oil he used but the make was millers what if it ever needs topping up ? when i go on millers they say i should use 0w 40 but not sure if he used that am i better off just draining the oil this weekend and changing it or if it ever needs topping up just use 0w 40?. if so what oil would people recommend. i am quite competent with a spanner i just took it to the garage to save my time and help a local business which now has backfired horribly

The standard Elf stuff is pretty good gear actually. I know my local Renault dealer uses Shell Helix. [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION] should be able to help. However 0w40 doesn't sound right.

yeah I'm not sure what grade he used thats what i mean. the garage is known for performance cars so don't think they would put wrong oil in . thats just what the millers website says. previous services all say 5w40 so i presume thats what he put in. the reason why I'm thinking of just changing the whole oil is because I'm just not sure what oil he used and don't want to go back to the garage to ask after a bad experience.

if u wanna go down that road and drain ur recently put in oil,u have a few choices.i have been doing my homework on oils and this is a reply i got from [MENTION=205]oilman[/MENTION].
I would use a 5w-40 synthetic in the engine.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-656-5w-40.aspx

Out of those, the best ones are the Fuchs/Silkolene Pro S, Millers CFS/CFS NT, Motul 300V, Red Line and Gulf Competition. The Motul 8100 X-Cess, Millers XF Longlife, Fuchs GT1 XTL/Supersyn, Gulf Formula G, Shell Helix and Mobil Super 3000 are good, cheaper alternatives.

Theres no "best" or no "worse" aslong as you get 5w 40 and make sure its fully synthetic you will be fine

Why would you want to spend 50+ on oil for a clio rs when 30 oil will do exactly the same!!

Thank you everyone for advice I was just worried just incase I mixed 5w with 0w for instance if I had to top up or if anything would happen if say I mixed Castro 5w40 with millers 5w40

Ive been using the Gulf Performance in mine (from OpieOils) - It does need topping up from time to time, I think ive used 1 L in the last four years.

Hi

If it's been filled with Millers from a performance car place, I would think they would have used either the CFS or CFS NT, although they come in 5w-40 rather than 0w-40. They do a longlife 0w-40 (not something we sell), so perhaps that has been used.

It's fine to mix normal oils, it's only odd ones (like biodegradable ones) that don't mix.

Cheers

Tim