Aftermarket springs most like Cup springs?

Hi everyone! I'm new here.
My recently acquired Cup chassis'd Rb 197 has a broken front spring. I'd like to keep the car as standard as possible and replace with a standard Cup spring, but at £100 each from Renault I'm looking for alternatives. I'm guessing I should probably replace both front springs at the same time, so ~£200 plus labour.

I've gathered that Eibachs are safe bets with only a mild drop, but seeing as I have no plans to take the car on track, I'd prefer not to sacrifice the ride by lowering any more than the standard Cup spec, which I'm really happy with on the road. Also, my insurance is already murder without mods to declare.

Seeing as two cup springs will cost basically the same as a full Eibach set, am I mad not to go for the Eibachs? Are they actually any smoother than Cup springs in spite of the lower ride height? Being German I'd imagine they'd be less likely to snap again...

Welcome to the site :smile:

if you've got money to waste, then buy the standard cup springs, I find it a cracking suspension set up, and when the time comes that mine need replacing, I'd quite like to stay standard as it's just so good.

But, as you've already said, aftermarket springs your getting a full kit for the price. You could always buy the 15-20mm lowering, so it's a minimal drop?

Comfort and performance wise you wont get anything as good as is the original setup for your cup, so if you can, go with the original.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think my email alerts were being sent to spam. Thanks for the link foxspeed – I'm not sure how I missed that thread. Springs snapping seems to be such a common issue with these cars that I'm surprised the aftermarket hasn't stepped in with a cup spring equivalent. That said I've been offered a good price for a pair of fitted cup springs so I'm going ahead.

But wow, this first month of ownership has been expensive (full set of discs/pads too). Next up, gearbox mount, Contis and ...cam belt.