AG Paint

How hard is it to get touch up paint for AG? Or if you can't, is it easy to colour match it?

Reason why I ask, is I managed to reverse into my mates can at the weekend, and it's cracked the bumper, scratched the paint down to the primer and scuffed it a bit :worried:

Got a quote, £250 for a respray, but the guy said he'll 'try' to get a close match but it may be difficult :/

Ask spray shack. That would be my first port of call.

01568 613283
07795 102424
(Simon)

I'm not a frequent poster here, but AG is extremely hard to match.

Apparently the ingredients needed for the exact 'recipe' are very expensive and hard to mix, so color differences are likely. AG has a high content of yellow and gold colored metallic flakes this gives it the deep green shine. Paint shops are prone to taking shortcuts when they have to buy specific pigments or ingredients, and they are likely to match the color to a 99% or less result.

If you pick up the car inspect in full daylight (preferably also in the sun or in bright artificial lighting) and from different angles and insist that you can come back if you notice a difference later. My front bumper was redone twice, but still isn't perfect.

I'm from Holland so I have no tips on where to take the car.

i have an AG Clio and trust me i feel the pain. extremely difficult to match it, i had the same done to me and i had the entire bumper sprayed and it came out perfect, a lot of work was done to get the perfect match by a very good spray shop. I also got a bit of lacquer that's peeling on the rear quarter panel the size of the golf ball and i have to re paint the whole side including the door to get a perfect match and finish. Beautiful colour just very costly and difficult when something goes wrong. Do it properly though is my advice, it's very easily noticeable on this colour if it's not matched correctly :worried:

Thanks for the advice guys, though now I'm quite worried it won't be the same again :worried:

Ollie, where did you get your bumper done? And how much if you don't mind me asking?

If its an IXELL mix the match should be good if sprayed correctly, AG is more tricky than some because of several reasons...

1. Its a rare colour!, so there "might" be other shades that no ones had added to the paint system, its not like a ford fiesta silver there arent 10's of thousands on the road.

2. It requires a WHITE ground coat before painting.......

3. Its a pearl

Where ever you take a Renault you want an IXELL paint sprayed on it, as thats the schema they use in the factory.

For something like a bumper, you dont want anything blending thats for sure, just a good matching paint mixing or tinting accordingly.

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

If an ixell tech was to do it, he would do 5 tester strips to find a match as all the paint varies in a little bit.

Or thats what has happened on all my repairs in the past by ixell on LY.

If an ixell tech was to do it, he would do 5 tester strips to find a match as all the paint varies in a little bit.

Or thats what has happened on all my repairs in the past by ixell on LY.

Absolutely mate, it also will depend greatly on the quality of scales the mixer uses, the quantity they mix. The smaller amount you mix the more accurate your scales / mixings have to be, really you should mix atleast a 1/2 of anything IMO, but alot of the time it isnt cost effective for smal jobs.

Cheers,
Si @ SS

Applez if you want to get me a picture of the damage ill happily give you my opinion, the chilling fact is the match on the rear bumper to the main body probably wont be perfect right now.....as renault spray the bumpers seperately anyway, but it will be very close as its the same paint.

If you ordered a touch up pot from us, id happily spray you a spray out card aswell, this way you can see how good a proper IXELL mix will be when you hold it against your car.

Cheers,
Simon @ SS

Thanks very much for your advice Simon, I'll make sure they use Ixell.

How much is a touch up pot, I've got a couple of stone chips in the front I could get rid of :smile:

I'll take a few photos of it tomorrow when I can and post them up!

Thanks once again!