air intake/front grills

i know someone on here has the carbon fibre ones where can they be bought and does anyone know the part number for the standard plastic ones? was thinking of buying a set and modifying them

first youve got to remove the box section above the grill behind the the bumper

first youve got to remove the box section above the grill behind the the bumper

To allow rain water to be to Forced through the intake to reach the filter then with the direct feed at high speed eventually through the filter and into the engine .

Millions Renault spent developing there intake system it can not be bettered with the same amount of Engine saftey by someone in there shed with a hacksaw. IMO

To allow rain water to be to Forced through the intake to reach the filter then with the direct feed at high speed eventually through the filter and into the engine .

Millions Renault spent developing there intake system it can not be bettered with the same amount of Engine saftey by someone in there shed with a hacksaw. IMO

Lol very nice mate.

They spent quite a lot developing their suspension too, but that seems to get ditched pretty quickly :tongueout:

shame i ay gota shed or an hacksaw then.

rain weighs heavier then air, so there very little chance of it ever reaching the engine let alone the the air filter, especially over the distance from the front grill to the the engine. even if water did get in the engine it would just burn up with the fuel anyway.

As I said that's just my opinion , I would love to do it if there are gains but just don't want to take the risk.

hmmmm thannks theres something to think about, i think i might side with A2ON in this case, the thought never crossed my mind that water would reach the engine but with him suggesting the worse i think i might be worried bout driving in the wet if i done this mod. thanks for the info though!!!!

well each to there own, its no different to having an induction kit with a caf to the front grill somewhere, and theres plenty of cars which have used them, including clios with never no probs.

Some high boost turbo cars actually inject water into the cylinders to dampen detonation so it's not harmful, only thing it would do on ur application is soak the filter and wash off the filter oil.

If you look into the airbox there is actually about 6" below the filter to allow for rubbish and I would imagine water to build up. It also lowers the pressure of that area which would mean that there is 99% chance that water will drop to the bottom long before reaching the filter.

There is very little to worry about with rain water getting into the system, air contains about 20% water anyway (humidity) which will definitely go through the engine no matter what, the main concern is large amounts which rapidly cools internal engine components which then causes something to crack.

The only way you are likely to get that is if its raining REALLY heavily.... and you accidentally drive into a river. At which point I doubt you will be worrying about your filter setup lol :-p

I acctually lol'ed at that drive into a river bit . Brilliant .

Tbh very convincing arguments for having the filter set up with vent .

I will be the first to admit that something needs to be done as per my other thread on
a recent track day the 197 induction system got very hot and suffered from quite bad heat soak.

I'll probally just V6 mine if I keep it

it is drive into a river or stick a hose up in there...

water will not get in there.

@ ryan197: and mate... BRILLIANT work with your hacksaw in your shed!!! :wink:

There is very little to worry about with rain water getting into the system, air contains about 20% water anyway (humidity) which will definitely go through the engine no matter what, the main concern is large amounts which rapidly cools internal engine components which then causes something to crack.

its not cooling and cracking thats the issue.....water will not compress in the cylinder and therefore will lock the engine up or bend a con rod or blow the head gasket out !!!