Anyone come from something much more powerful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only place it feels underpowered is on track.

Seriously, if it ever feels underpowered on any public road other than a motorway you are driving like a dangerous nob end.

I would say the other way round. On track you can keep the engine singing up the revs, on the road you're right in the least lively part of the rev range for most types of driving.

I've had a few ~300bhp nissans before owning clios. It's a different type of car to drive. The power stops being so important when you have cornering ability and fast responsive NA

Last edited:
Nice to hear more opinions, thanks!

I'm looking to return my car to standard(ish) over the next couple of weeks, as I can get some decent money for the parts that are on there, so should have more money to spend. That way I can hopefully get a 200 rather than a 197..

Kneller, I went from 172 cup to a mk1 Focus RS running 300bhp and then onto a 197 cup

I have just recently got myself another 30k miler 172 cup as the mrs drives the 197 cup.

I do miss the power of the RS but I would say that I could push on a little better in the 197 on twisties - my only gripe is that my RS focus was better overall on fuel than the 197, the power/speed in the 197 just doesnt justify its consumption and thats the reason i got myself another 172 cup - 38-41 mpg easily on a run and with newly fitted standard cup suspension, there really isnt much in it between the handling of the 172 and the 197 - the 172 cup is quicker off the line either way.

The reason I got rid of my RS was that parts are getting rarer and things like clutches and turbos are expensive plus the miles were getting higher, I sold that and got myself a mint 57 reg 197 cup with 21k, FRSH, in white and with the spoiler and recaros plus I had change left over.

Kneller, I went from 172 cup to a mk1 Focus RS running 300bhp and then onto a 197 cup

I have just recently got myself another 30k miler 172 cup as the mrs drives the 197 cup.

I do miss the power of the RS but I would say that I could push on a little better in the 197 on twisties - my only gripe is that my RS focus was better overall on fuel than the 197, the power/speed in the 197 just doesnt justify its consumption and thats the reason i got myself another 172 cup - 38-41 mpg easily on a run and with newly fitted standard cup suspension, there really isnt much in it between the handling of the 172 and the 197 - the 172 cup is quicker off the line either way.

The reason I got rid of my RS was that parts are getting rarer and things like clutches and turbos are expensive plus the miles were getting higher, I sold that and got myself a mint 57 reg 197 cup with 21k, FRSH, in white and with the spoiler and recaros plus I had change left over.

What mpg were you averaging in both the RS and the 197?

Hmm, I'm slightly concerned about this point, as I am keen on the odd track day :tongueout:

I'm just worried it may disappoint slightly on track..

A 200 WON'T disappoint on track. I can assure you. I drive the 200 Cup (mostly trackdays) and drive a 997 GTS(408bhp). The 911 is amazing on track but then I'd expect it to provide me the thrills I crave for the money.

The Clio hand on heart gives me the same buzz every time. Whilst the Clio won't be as fast in a straight line, I've followed plenty of GT3s, M3s, Boxsters, Caymans etc in and out of corners and it's pretty much as quick. At a recent track day (Bedford), I proved this when a driver of an E46 M3 followed me out of a fast corner and immediately pulled out to overtake, only to find it wasn't as easy as he thought! He did get past but only really because I came of the gas to avoid a problem.

What I like about the Clio as it's generally the "underdog" when you compare it to some of the fancy machinery on show. If you drive it well, you can go trouble many "so called" trackday weapons. It's the driver that makes the difference in the Clio. The other thing is the Clio is relatively easy to drive. It's fast but doesn't demand as much respect as my Porker. Sometimes, this is what makes it more enjoyable sometimes.

Following buying my 200, 2 mates went and followed suit based on how much fun it is. Now that's a good advert for a car!

Downsides of the Clio for me? It's designed to be driven hard and comes alive when pushed which is not always the way I want to drive especially on road. Personally, it's tiring on the road for me. It does make me appreciate how well the 911 can adapt to any situation (hard track use or docile car when I'm just wanting to get somewhere comfortably). I love both cars!

Cheers

A 200 WON'T disappoint on track. I can assure you. I drive the 200 Cup (mostly trackdays) and drive a 997 GTS(408bhp). The 911 is amazing on track but then I'd expect it to provide me the thrills I crave for the money.

The Clio hand on heart gives me the same buzz every time. Whilst the Clio won't be as fast in a straight line, I've followed plenty of GT3s, M3s, Boxsters, Caymans etc in and out of corners and it's pretty much as quick. At a recent track day (Bedford), I proved this when a driver of an E46 M3 followed me out of a fast corner and immediately pulled out to overtake, only to find it wasn't as easy as he thought! He did get past but only really because I came of the gas to avoid a problem.

What I like about the Clio as it's generally the "underdog" when you compare it to some of the fancy machinery on show. If you drive it well, you can go trouble many "so called" trackday weapons. It's the driver that makes the difference in the Clio. The other thing is the Clio is relatively easy to drive. It's fast but doesn't demand as much respect as my Porker. Sometimes, this is what makes it more enjoyable sometimes.

Following buying my 200, 2 mates went and followed suit based on how much fun it is. Now that's a good advert for a car!

Downsides of the Clio for me? It's designed to be driven hard and comes alive when pushed which is not always the way I want to drive especially on road. Personally, it's tiring on the road for me. It does make me appreciate how well the 911 can adapt to any situation (hard track use or docile car when I'm just wanting to get somewhere comfortably). I love both cars!

Cheers

i think you have to accept a clio 200 isnt going to be anywhere near as quick as the cayman, 911, M3 etc on track with the same driver.

ok if you have a nob in a trackday weapon but many of them also have drivers that know what they are doing and they will just constantly blast past.

i agree, a clio is about cheap capable track fun and if you do have 'a moment' the bill isnt in 5 figures.

I came from a 350bhp JDM Impreza STi to my 200.

I just echo most comments, these cars are amazing. Get them on the boil, and having a few bhp less is the last of your worries.

get one and Go and enjoy!

clewsey - Random question, is it you and your mates that all have the Racing Blue 200's that I have seen at the RS Brands track days over the last few years? No worries if not!

I really like all of the positive comments on here. I'm still worried about not enjoying it quite as much, but I'm sure as soon as I get into one, all of those worries will be gone!

i think you have to accept a clio 200 isnt going to be anywhere near as quick as the cayman, 911, M3 etc on track with the same driver.

ok if you have a nob in a trackday weapon but many of them also have drivers that know what they are doing and they will just constantly blast past.

i agree, a clio is about cheap capable track fun and if you do have 'a moment' the bill isn't in 5 figures.

Agree but it's not easily beaten.... I've followed a mate once for 30 mins who races a single-seater in his Boxster S at Snetterton 300 and whilst he was quick and had more low-down grunt, he was reeled in come the bomb-hole each lap. When people come and have a chat at trackday's they always are genuinely surprised how good they are.

Look at this at the Ring. The footage is of my mate following me in my 200. You can see where the Clio is quick, and where you could read a paper on faster stretches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhr00hjLKA&feature=related

The only problem I had that weekend was an engine failure...... :-( but was replaced under warranty by Renault no problem :smile:

Last edited:
I came from a 350bhp JDM Impreza STi to my 200.

I just echo most comments, these cars are amazing. Get them on the boil, and having a few bhp less is the last of your worries.

get one and Go and enjoy!

clewsey - Random question, is it you and your mates that all have the Racing Blue 200's that I have seen at the RS Brands track days over the last few years? No worries if not!

No, not me mate. Me and my mates are all in white 200s. We are usually the ones getting "spread out" boards :smile:

I really like all of the positive comments on here. I'm still worried about not enjoying it quite as much, but I'm sure as soon as I get into one, all of those worries will be gone!

as long as you are realistic about it, its not going to be a great constant giant killer owners on here like to say is it. its going to be a different sort of experience to your tuned Focus.

Agree but it's not easily beaten.... I've followed a mate once for 30 mins who races a single-seater in his Boxster S at Snetterton 300 and whilst he was quick and had more low-down grunt, he was reeled in come the bomb-hole each lap. When people come and have a chat at trackday's they always are genuinely surprised how good they are.

Look at this at the Ring. The footage is of my mate following me in my 200. You can see where the Clio is quick, and where you could read a paper on faster stretches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVhr00hjLKA&feature=related

The only problem I had that weekend was an engine failure...... :-( but was replaced under warranty by Renault no problem :smile:

all true i'm sure. i just have to really base my opinion on comparable lap times from reliable sources and at places like Bedford etc the clio is much slower lapping than a boxster s.

ok you could have some fun keeping up with someone not as skilled or commited but you dont drive home thinking you have bought the faster lapping car.

Last edited by a moderator:
all true i'm sure. i just have to really base my opinion on comparable lap times from reliable sources and at places like Bedford etc the clio is much slower lapping than a boxster s.

ok you could have some fun keeping up with someone not as skilled or commited but you dont drive home thinking you have bought a faster lapping car.

It should be I agree, but I've not seen that many Boxster S's driven well on track. It's the driver that makes the difference no matter what the car IMO :smile:

It should be I agree, but I've not seen that many Boxster S's driven well on track. It's the driver that makes the difference no matter what the car IMO :smile:

driver? of course, no doubt about it. also the circuit is a big factor. a poor driver of a boxster s on track at the Silverstone GP circuit will do ok against a well driven clio 200 because its a big power circuit.

problem is, come the real true comparisons, a boxster s will still lap a good few seconds quicker than a clio 200 on most 1:20 circuits with similar drivers.

driver? of course, no doubt about it. also the circuit is a big factor. a poor driver of a boxster s on track at the Silverstone GP circuit will do ok against a well driven clio 200 because its a big power circuit.

problem is, come the real true comparisons, a boxster s will still lap a good few seconds quicker than a clio 200 on most 1:20 circuits with similar drivers.

Sure, the track will play a large part here and the Clio will be slower. Some nice challenging corners there though :smile:

Sure, the track will play a large part here and the Clio will be slower. Some nice challenging corners there though :smile:

yes, not the best circuit for the clio to shine for sure.

i'm not trying to pee on the fun you could have in the clio, just putting it into some honest perspective. going home from bedford having kept up with a decent 911 just means you were the better or more commited driver on the day.

i'm leaning towards a 182 and whilst it will be fun on track, i'm also prepared for a well driven boxster s to ease past.

You could always do a megane lump transplant for extra gutso but that is .....

A) opening a can of worms
B) ££££
C) taking away the n/a nature + balance of the car

:beer:

You could always do a megane lump transplant for extra gutso but that is .....

A) opening a can of worms
B) ££££
C) taking away the n/a nature + balance of the car

:beer:

B is fairly accurate, the rest isn't so true. Done 12k in mine with no issues and for me although it takes away the n/a nature it adds so much more and the cars balance isn't effected.

ive gone the oppsite way round gone from a 197 to a megane 250. the thing ive found is that the 197 is more rewarding to driving fast, thrash the knackars off it to get it in its zone and keep it there and it flys, and does feel more rewarding, more chuckable and more in tune with the road, even thou the megane is a good car, fast, handles, its abit too easy, its like fast but you cant tell half the time because of how well insulated the car is from the road. but then again each car as it pros and cons.

my 197 pushing close to 200bhp with basic induction/exhaust/remap mods, and some of the cars ive out dragged quite suprised me. Astra vxrs etc, most of the ex owners that say 197/200s are slow either cant drive them properly or theyve got a bad example.

Ive had both cars and I agree with Ryan the Clio will put a smile on your face but the negatives are moding it unlike the ford ware parts are readily available the mods for Clio's are not.
So what you will find is the Clio is great to start with but you will miss the power of a turbo yes you can do an engine upgrade but that cost around £4.5k.

My advise would be to try the Clio and the Meg both the 230 and the 250 are very good cars and I enjoyed owning both either that or wait for the new Clio i think with the new 1.6 turbo we will have the best of both world's without having to have the big engine Mod's.:thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.