Anyone else seen that light next to the moon tonight???

I've just noticed that there is a bright light next to the moon tonight. I've never noticed it before, anyone know what it is? Star? Planet? Aliens? :thumbsup: lol

I tried taking a picture of it but the iPhone isn't the best telescope . . . .

photo-16.png

Very odd, I'll go have a look...

*EDIT*

Can't actually see the Moon here mate, it's not that cloudy but I think it's conveniently covered it. :worried:

Last edited:
Keeps appearing and then vanishing! weird. And no it's not my eyes and I'm not drunk.

I'm sat fishing in the pitch black and I noticed it, it's so bright and it's almost sparkling in the sky, really cool whatever it is!

I saw it earlier but dont know much about astro thingymebob, thought it was odd.

Woah yeah pretty cool! I love anything like that do do with space and the stars! I work mostly at night so many a conversation ends up being about the vastness of space lol Seen a good few shooting stars too :smile:

Anyone got a telescope and camera?

Mike has, but he's having trouble getting online tonight I think. Dammit!!!

Hopefully he'll take a load of photos anyway and post them up tomorrow. :smile:

That is indeed Venus. It became visible before the sun even set.

We are near our closest point to it in the earths' orbit round the sun. Jupiter is now fainter ( it is about 10 o'clock to Venus) hence why last night Jupiter wasn't special through the telescope.

Mars is visible tonight too, and all through the winter - in the SE sky - clearly it is orangy red. Stay up past midnight, and Saturn becomes visible.

Still, the most amazing thing in the night sky for me, has to be this:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkjuIoCorTE[/YOUTUBE]
The distances and maths are mind blowing! Why I love it so much!

This picture was taken through the same telescope as what I have, a celestron nexstar 4SE....

There is nothing quite as stunning as looking at Saturn - it truly is beautiful!

Attachments

• Saturn.jpg
    Saturn.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 20
man . . . there is something about that picture of saturn! Dont know what it is, but I could stare at it for hours and contemplate the universe! :smile: and that video! thats awesome! Just unreal . . .

Last edited:
man . . . there is something about that picture of saturn! Dont know what it is, but I could stare at it for hours and contemplate the universe! :smile: lol

It truly is a beautiful sight!!

It is so weird when you see these things with your own eyes for the first time. It's the way it sits there against a vast black background - just hanging there in Space!!!