Anyone ever had a race with Mini Cooper S 180hp one?

A colleague of mine has an EP3 (stock) and we dragged it out once or twice. My 197 slightly gets away until his V-Tec kicks in at the end of each gear, when he would catch back up. Really not much in it...

every year we do the mini lakes run and other than on the straights i can whip them coopers in my classic mini:uk: , no contest and thats with 85 bhp. fat overweight :german:abhominations.

GP is a stonking car ;/ curse me for saying that

For a far comparison I have 197 and a Cooper-s on the drive, the Mini has a 15% pulley reduction and I'm telling you the Mini would turn over the 197 all day long. Even as standard I'd say the mid range punch is just a bit too much for the Clio to cope with.

Had the Mini dynoed before the pulley was fitted and it was 174bhp at the fly (205bhp after) its a facelift with the Teflon charger and updated box/gear ratios. The Clio was done at Hayes Engineering the other week and made 184.9bhp but obviously weighs more.

For a far comparison I have 197 and a Cooper-s on the drive, the Mini has a 15% pulley reduction and I'm telling you the Mini would turn over the 197 all day long. Even as standard I'd say the mid range punch is just a bit too much for the Clio to cope with.

Had the Mini dynoed before the pulley was fitted and it was 174bhp at the fly (205bhp after) its a facelift with the Teflon charger and updated box/gear ratios. The Clio was done at Hayes Engineering the other week and made 184.9bhp but obviously weighs more.

Thats probably a fair comparison then, same driver 2 cars and all. :001_rolleyes:

The EP3 definitely has the legs over 70 for some reason good engines tbh, handles well but not quite as sharp as the Clio.

Shame there couldnt be a joint venture, Honda engine/g.box + Renault chassis would be amazing.

If they did I'd have one tomorrow!

I've owned both cars and in driving them a couple of years apart, they don't feel to unfamiliar, expect that the added bonus with the mcs is I fitted a 17% reduced pulley which made a hell of a difference to standard! I could honestly say the 197 was more fun to rag to the redline but the thats about it. If someone wants to lend me their 197 I'll happily take it to the Ring and compare times to the MCS? :smiley:

My view having driven both, the big problem with the clio but equally what makes it fun is you have to work hard to make it go fast. But if you like driving, thats what makes it fun. Other cars (like the mini) aren't as much power but are easier to drive quicker.

NA is great BUT its hard to drive fast for some when its all about you and less about the car....and thats why drivers love the clio!!

My view having driven both, the big problem with the clio but equally what makes it fun is you have to work hard to make it go fast. But if you like driving, thats what makes it fun. Other cars (like the mini) aren't as much power but are easier to drive quicker.

NA is great BUT its hard to drive fast for some when its all about you and less about the car....and thats why drivers love the clio!!

SOOOO TRUE. :thumbup:

I used to have a 197 and now have an EP3, in my opinion the brakes and handling are better in the Clio but the Civic pulls stronger.

I used to have an EP3 CTR and now have a 197 and agree with SteBurns although you would have to be doing 3 figures for the CTR to start easing away. Anyone who says the CTR is slow = wasn't trying.

Had a new Ibiza Cupra slowly disappear in my rear view mirror today. One very pissed off driver!!!!

Last edited: