Battery problems :(

When the car is running, everything is normal. Leave it turned off for a few hours and it won't start. Says something like ESP disabled, then I need to use jump leads.

My windows won't go up and down automatically either, I have to keep pressing the button!

I have recently stopped using the car on long journeys so is only used around town. Which is when the problem started.

So is this the battery? Or the alternator not charging it properly?

My car is a standard 06 197.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like the alternator to me.

Cars in general do need a good blast on a long run every now no again tho.

Get a multi meter and test the voltage across the battery. If its good it should show 12.3v or higher. If its not showing this the battery may just need a good slow charge or trickle charge would be best, use a battery conditioner rather than a standard quick charge unit, if you have one available. To test the alternator get the engine running if you can then check the voltage across the battery. You should get a steady voltage of around 14v. If its lower than when the engine is off or if its fluctuating the alternator has probably given up. I would also check all of you engine earth leads just to make sure they are all clean properly connected and free of any corrosion.

If you don't have a multi meter to do the above just get the battery to halfords for a free battery test. They'll tell you if its dead or just in need of a charge. If its in need of a charge but still good you'll have to test the alternator as above.