Best extended warranty option

stuey

Gold Member
Hi guys, my warranty is up soon and I'm considering my options as far as extending the manufacturers 3 year warranty. If it wasn't for the gearbox issues that all to frequently appear I probably wouldnt bother. But the idea of possibly having a problem at such a low mileage (6000 odd) does not appeal. The Renault one is £377 per year, I thought that was bad but a couple of online quotes have come up over £500!! I also note that the Renault one doesnt cover 'trim', so that could dodge any melting wheel issues amongst others (no Recaros for me)
I am considering a change of gearbox oil as a possible way of avoiding any gearbox problems in the future, but I dare say that could scupper any warranty claim in the future if extended.
What to do!
(Did do a search btw)

I wouldn't bother on one of these to be honest. There's not too much to go wrong.

2 years of paying into the warranty would buy you a new gearbox (if you need it)

but, if you want a piece of mind I'd say 377 is reasonable.

I have the renault extended warranty on my 09 197 and have just made a claim, damper replaced and i also claimed for worn recaro.

After a fight i've got 85% paid by renault but they never said the interior was'nt covered.

It's worth the money for piece of mind as i was/still am worried about gearbox and that was main reason for buying.

Thanks for the reply guys. I dont know how much a new box is even if fitted by yourself but I have seen £2500+ mentioned. If it seemed like new ones had the problem fixed it wouldnt be quite so bad but I'm not sure anything has changed. Need to decide soon. I wonder if Renault realise or care how much damage to its reputation this may end up doing, as its the range topper to their best selling model?

Last edited:
I've got Renault4U, good as gold, they even agreed to cover work that hadn't taken place at the stealers.

Interesting thread, i also have looked into the £377 Renault option to cover the gearbox issue. I have kind of accepted thats that what im going to pay now as the gearbox issue is a unexpected cost I done want to be hit with. I too got a quote from a warranty place (top gear of old quentin wilson does the add) that was £504 or £51 per month! whats Renault 4U?? just had a quick look and cant find anything on it.

Cheers

Renault for you is basically the extended warranty that Renault offers when the 3 years warrant runs out.

The one Yiannis mentions is I think the same one as I have looked at, the official extended Renault one. I had a quote from the Quentin one too for the sam money, followed by about 5 phone calls pestering me! The warranty wise one was about £550 if I remember right.
What pees me off is the idea of constantly extending a warranty due to an unknown like this. It could happen tomorrow, or never! Its a kind of tax on people that cant say sod it and not bother. They must make a few quid out of it, at what cost to their rep though? I very much doubt I'd buy a new one after this.

Just a note to add, even though it's advertised and sold through the official renault website it's not sold by renault, it's a third party.

You have to go through renault to sort out any prolems and it's renault you have to fight to win but it's another comapny paying the bills.

Found my paperwork, it's with Motor insurance company limited which is also something to do with Car care plan limited.

Hi guys, my warranty is up soon and I'm considering my options as far as extending the manufacturers 3 year warranty. If it wasn't for the gearbox issues that all to frequently appear I probably wouldnt bother. But the idea of possibly having a problem at such a low mileage (6000 odd) does not appeal. The Renault one is £377 per year, I thought that was bad but a couple of online quotes have come up over £500!! I also note that the Renault one doesnt cover 'trim', so that could dodge any melting wheel issues amongst others (no Recaros for me)
I am considering a change of gearbox oil as a possible way of avoiding any gearbox problems in the future, but I dare say that could scupper any warranty claim in the future if extended.
What to do!
(Did do a search btw)

I would purchase it for piece of mind. I mean if you divide £377 by 12 months it breaks it down to £31.41 per month so like alot of people said on here it can give u piece of mind. Touch wood you won't need it but you never know with cars.

In regards to the gearbox oil I changed mine and it has helped the 3rd gear sychromesh stop crunching a tiny bit but still hear it now and again. 1st starting to act up and is sometimes difficult to get into when cold also, so I hope that sychromesh isn't on it's way out. When I changed my gearbox oil I used Redline MTL Fully Synthetic 70W80 Gearbox Oil. In total is cost me incl P&P £31.68 from JJC race and Rally off ebay.

I bought my 2006 plate 197 private so I couldn't take out a extended warrenty but it's entiley ur choice mate. :smile:

Yeah the cost can be paid in instalments over ten months so £37 a month is not too bad, i pay mine like this and as said, for piece of mind it's ok.

Towards the end of the first year if you've not claimed i'm sure it'll have one of the normal clio faults and you could put a claim in for one of those to get your monies worth :smiley:

Glovebox sagging, sticking caliper or a door seal. it's bound to have one of those traits :smiley:

I'm looking at this myself and have just found what looks like a ridiculously lower price on www.gocarwarrenty.co.uk.

If you want gearbox and other standard things covered its only £99 a year!

Looks good but check it out and let me know if i've missed something?

Another idea (albeit a riskier one) is to stick the cash you would have spent on the extended warranty in a savings account. If something comes up you have cash set aside for it, if not and you sell the car or whatever, you can put the cash towards your next car or a holiday etc. Depends how much your average gearbox replacement is though...

To my knowledge theres only three "common" faults that would be worth taking out the Warranty for:-
Rocket Cover Gasket failure
Fuel Pump Failure
Gearbox Replacement

Your general trim (Recaro etc) is all excluded from the extended warranties I saw when you read the small print along with most "wear and tear" parts like clutches etc.

I didn't take it out as I'd already had fuel pump and rocker gasket failed and replaced by Renault under warranty so I was hoping I wouldn't be unlucky enough to get the "full house"!

I had a look and they have better options still for less money than warrenty direct.

Although on further inspection, they don't seem to cover cars with mods, which is worth knowing.

Hi Yakkers, I am in the same boat as you about wanting the extended warranty for piece of mind. I have just 'Googled' 'Gocarwarrenty reviews' aparently they are part of Auto Protect and judging by these reviews a gearbox maybe a step to far for 99 squid a year http://www.canyoutrustthem.com/index.php?go=quick_search&keyword=auto+protect
I could be proven wrong but it doesnt inspire me to pay £99 a year and them not to payout due to 'wear and tear'

I decided to renew the warranty with Renault in the end, especially since I've had a pretty unlucky week! Thanks for all of the opinions