Bit of an exhaust rattle

I had a new TDF exhaust fitted last week, but it seems like its devloped a bit of a rattle.

I know its the exhaust against the diffuser, and while the guys did a fantastic job fitting and adjusting it, it seems like its still touching it slightly.

I've tried moving the diffuser outlets, but they cant be adjusted anymore, so the only other way to stop it would be to put some padding, can anyone recommend a heatproof or heat resistant padding/foam? or another way of stopping it?

My exhaust used to rattle on the diffuser but I welded a washer (small jubilee clip would work the same) on 1 of the exhaust hangers stopping the rubber slidding over which stopped the tips touching works perfectly :smile: hope this might help mate

I had the same with my Milltek, drove me absolutely nuts... At the time my wife was in hospital so I was doing over around 150 mile daily round trips, the noise was unbearable but I didn't have the time to fix it..

Upon inspection I discovered that the exhaust silencers were not aligned, the nearside silencer was much lower and was touching the heatsheild. This also pushed up the off side silencer so it was banging on the nut that secures the hanging bracket..

After much trial and error I got some tie wraps and put them round the near side rubber hanger and tightened them up so that it squashed the rubber which pulled the silencer off the heatsheild. In doing this it pushed the other side down fractionally curing the other rattle.

Its been fine ever since thankfully.

I also had some problems with my TDF. One noise came from the diffusor; the other one was a result of conctact between the two steelparts wich are connected with the rubberparts. Sorry but i don´t know the exact names of the parts in english... :-(

After fitting some adequate parts inside the exhaust rubber everything was fine.
Now there´s only nice noise from the TDF. :smile:

Here are some pics for better understanding:

Before:
2012-10-05%2014.28.16.jpg

The inserts:
2012-10-05%2014.30.00.jpg

The result:
2012-10-05%2014.59.18.jpg

2012-10-05%2014.59.32.jpg

the problem you've all got guys lies deeper towards the front of the car,when people connect the manifold to the rear section they never push it up before tightening the clamp,pushing this joint up before tightening lowers the exhaust tips which prevents them from hitting the body work (seesaw effect),the knocking is nothing to do with the diffuser as its plastic and wouldn't cause that noise,the knocking comes from the exhaust hitting the seem above the diffuser

tie wrapping the rubbers helps slightly but putting a piece of cut up rubber in the centre slot of the rear hangers works better,then put tie wraps over the top to prevent the bits of rubber falling out

my final trick is one i learnt from foxspeed... the rear hangers unbolt from the body with 3 bolts each side,remove these and put washers inbetween the body work and the hanger,this will sort the problem out for good