Blower Speed 2 Not Working

Just started this morning, in car on way to work and though "hey my fans on speed 2 and there's no air coming out, immediately suspecting heater motor failure I tried the other speeds but they all work fine, messed about with the dial (standard Cup heater controls not climate) turned to 3, 4 then 1 then back to 2, still nothing, back to 1 then 4 then 3 then 2 and 2 started working again.

Came out of work and got in car, speed 2 not working again, messed around again, nothing, tried again, working

Went home, went back out to pick the misses up from work, speed 2 working, turned car off, 5 mins later started car back up, not working again, messed around with no joy, went to Asda came back out started car and they worked right away,

Any ideas, it's obviously not the motor, nor the resistor because if it was it'd be more than 1 speed, plus it obviously works sometimes so whatever it is is intermittent

Perhaps this..

the wire loom that connects to the resistor pack shorts out on fan speed 2 and melts the block causing a poor connection, you can remove the glove box easily and pull the block off and clean the connector.

Like Colvin1991 says its probably the resistor pack that has melted, common problem. You normally find it also melts part of the wiring loom block that connects to the resistor so that will also need replacing as well if it has (wiring loom repair kit)

Its not a cheap fix mind.

Like Colvin1991 says its probably the resistor pack that has melted, common problem. You normally find it also melts part of the wiring loom block that connects to the resistor so that will also need replacing as well if it has (wiring loom repair kit)

Its not a cheap fix mind.

Thats exactly what was wrong, connector melted onto resistor, £235, Renault dealer refused to fix it under their used car warranty saying components are covered by wiring and looms aren't and because the wiring melted wrecking the resistor they wouldn't cover that either, they said it wasn't a design fault, manufacturing defect or common fault but checking online I've since found out it is on various Renault models, master tech said the wiring probably got overloaded hence melted, surely there should be a fuse or relay that blows first to stop an overload melting stuff. I'm so pissed off with this as its never happened before on any of my other non French cars that I'm going to chop the car in, can't risk other stuff like this happening and costing me a fortune I can't afford on repairs for faults I wouldn't get on decent Jap/German cars.

Thats exactly what was wrong, connector melted onto resistor, £235, Renault dealer refused to fix it under their used car warranty saying components are covered by wiring and looms aren't and because the wiring melted wrecking the resistor they wouldn't cover that either, they said it wasn't a design fault, manufacturing defect or common fault but checking online I've since found out it is on various Renault models, master tech said the wiring probably got overloaded hence melted, surely there should be a fuse or relay that blows first to stop an overload melting stuff. I'm so pissed off with this as its never happened before on any of my other non French cars that I'm going to chop the car in, can't risk other stuff like this happening and costing me a fortune I can't afford on repairs for faults I wouldn't get on decent Jap/German cars.

so going by all those dealer excuses then it was an act of god!!!! by their very own admission its a "manufacturing/design fault" and therefore should have been covered by the warranty...:swear: