BMW 116i

Got this bad boy to tool around in yesterday as I took the wifes 120D in to be looked at:

IMG-20120806-00001.jpg

;/

What surprised me is how pokey it is for a base model petrol, especially given the size of the car (which seems MASSIVE compared to our earlier 1-series). 0-60 in 8.2s! :blink:

I know that's not quick by our considerations but that's pretty darn healthy in general terms!

8.2 is pretty pokey for a 1.6 petrol especially in a base model, your dead right. Are they Forced Induction or just NA?

I'm growing to like these a little more, I thought they were fugly at first compared to the previous model.

Twin turbo apparently! It feels very large to drive though. To me the older 1-series seems to shrink around you and it feels easier to thread down a B-road than my 197. This thing had me panicking this morning!

I'm still undecided on the front end. I didn't like the new 3 either, but found myself admiring one the other day. BMW have a habit of releasing stuff that gets a bad first reaction and then a lot of people warm to it.

powered by a 1.6-litre engine that, BMW says, is its first petrol four-pot to feature twin-scroll turbocharging, direct injection, Valvetronic variable valve timing and double-Vanos variable valve lift. Even in base 116i form, it’s an impressive motor on paper, producing 162lb ft of torque from 1350rpm and an almost diesel-rivalling 177lb ft on overboost.

I'd have thought the 116i would be slow as hell, but that's good for that motor. 136 hp too, so not exactly buldging with power, but the torque must help it. Sounds like a good engine.

Well we had a previous generation 116i as a hire car abroad a few years ago and it you had to keep it fizzing!

This thing felt wheezy at first but really picks its skirt up when you floor it.

Hey guys, take a look at the BMW 118i... 170 PS, and an almost Clio RS rivalling 7.4s to 62 mph.

In my opinion our engines seem a little bit 'antique' in comparison with those twinscroll BMW engines. But I honestly couldn't care less.

I do have to admit that the new M135i is probably going to replace the clio, within a year or two. The missus is complaining about the practicality of the Clio.

Similar Thread Suggestions