Boot opening when I start my car?

Hello! Over the past couple of days (could be todo with the cold) my boot is opening as soon as I start my car...

Today it actually did it whilst I was driving home from work, as I was prompted with the boot open warning on my dash.

Can anyone help me with as to why this would be happening?

P.s if this is the wrong section please let me know

That's mental and dangerous.

Is the latch performing as it should? It's not leaving go because it's loose or anything is it? It has a little spring inside, make sure that's intact.

If not, might be electrical.

Someone with better ideas will be along soon :smile:

As above, check the physical latch mechanism, the spring(s) could have gone, or it could be jammed with grime.

If the latch is operating correctly, then it's surely electrical and possibly a short somewhere...

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?40124-Problem-with-boot-opening!

This has only happened in the last 2 days, but sometimes when I press the start/stop button, both starting and stopping the engine, the boot has released. I can't understand why it would be happening? Has anyone had this happen to them or have any idea what is wrong?

Be sure to secure it down with rope if you need to drive somewhere.

Remove the boot switch from the tailgate. The rubber on mine perished which let water in and corroded the metal contact points.

As above, check the physical latch mechanism, the spring(s) could have gone, or it could be jammed with grime.

If the latch is operating correctly, then it's surely electrical and possibly a short somewhere...

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?40124-Problem-with-boot-opening!

Be sure to secure it down with rope if you need to drive somewhere.

The pictures wouldn't load so I cant see what areas to pull off and clean out, is it the wiring going into the bootlit by my brake light? Or the button to open the boot lid? The springs look alright as far as I could see!

Mine did this mate, I think water had got in to one of the rectangular rubber grommets either side of the 'button' on the tailgate as one was missing, I gave it a good spray of wd40 inside and replaced both grommets,fixed it. It might not work for you but worth a try

The pictures wouldn't load so I cant see what areas to pull off and clean out, is it the wiring going into the bootlit by my brake light? Or the button to open the boot lid? The springs look alright as far as I could see!
Yes button to open the boot lid. Prise off with flat screwdriver, the whole unit can then be pulled through the hole. Pull off the wired section, then pull apart the main body. Be careful with the spring,and the brass paddle inside. Clean etc ??? Or just buy a new one for £22.52 + vat. no.8200385515 X Vospers.

Hey guys thanks for all your help - you were right, there was a build up of black dirt inbetween the two links. Cleaned that very delicately and now it works again! Thanks for all your help and for saving me some ££