broke down

Fernandez

Gold Member
I just broke down!! Mechanically everything is ok..

Driving up duel carriageway, all my exterior lights went off. managed to pull over. Engine still running. Turned it off and now it won't start.

I have interior lights and dash lights, the dash even says I have headlights on.. Press start button and nothing.

Any ideas?

Not sure, its pitch black, have no torch. I'm thinking its battery and alternator. The alternator has been on its way out.

My breakdown cover expired so leaving the car where it is and will sort it tomorrow

Its not alternator, what you described is nothing like what happened to mine. Does sound like an earth coming lose
Remember litchys car at ste's that time.

unlucky tho mate.

I had the same problem with mine mate. The earth cable was a bit of a piss fit so the car just died on me and wouldn't start. All sorted now though.

Hope it's that simple for you.

Its not alternator, what you described is nothing like what happened to mine. Does sound like an earth coming lose
Remember litchys car at ste's that time.

unlucky tho mate.

thinking could be alternator because its been on its way out for ages and had a battery warning light. If there was not enough juice then all major systems would just shut down wouldn't they.

I've left the car now so I'll see if its still there tomorrow.

Last edited:
I lost headlights, rear lights, front wipers, steering and brake assistance. It was pitch black, lashing down with rain and I was on a long sweeping corner. Luckily I know the road and knew there was a layby coming up

Could well be either the suggestions I think (going by my experience) my initial thoughts is alternator packing up. Hope your car is safe and you get it sorted quickly.

So got to the car this morning and it started up, thought I'd see if lights and other electrics worked so we turned everything on and sure enough it died and wouldn't start.

Checked the battery and it was just clinging onto life. Checked all the earths and they were fine. We did however find an exposed wire going into the ecu so that was sorted out just in case water ingress was at fault. Got the car started and nothing was coming out of the alternator.

Fortunately I have an alternator waiting to go on the car, which will happen tomorrow. Just charging the battery up now so all being well the problem has been solved.

Wasn't to happy that it was left in a layby last night but got a text this morning from Grey saying he'd seen my car in a layby on bypass, I replied "thank **** for that, its still there"

Dude, buy some breakdown cover! Bloody lucky you got back to it and it was still there, bet it was a sleepless night lol