Bulkhead grommet - extra cables

TB Rich

Paid Member
So I've done loads of searching but can't quite figure out a definitive answer on this.

Most people use the large grommet under the glove box to feed a sub wire through - what's not clear though is if people are feeding it through the centre of the grommet, or what seems to be suggested a lot is to pierce a hole through the grommet and feed through that?

I'm not feeding a sub cable, but 2 sets of 3 wires for a pressure sensor and temp sensor. However I don't like the idea of piercing the grommet. That grommet is a 2-piece design iirc and so anything outside of the central core isn't really going to be water proofed properly.
I think it would be better to drill the bulkhead and install a new grommet. It would require painting the edges of the new hole (etch primer then paint?) and also applying some silicone to the grommet - but has to be the best way to ensure no leaks and rust?

Would very much appreciate knowing though if anyone has managed to get a cable through the centre of the grommet - seems bloody impossible!!

Cheers

If there is no additional space I would go with doing another hole, don't want to suffer friction burns on the harness cables