200T: Cant sell my 200T!

It seems that I am not the only person who doesnt want the new 200T! I made a big mistake buying one at the beginning of September as I found after two weeks that I just hated the auto box. I have had the car for sale since then and despite reducing it a number of times it seems that no one else wants it either! I know that its a bad time of year to sell now, but at £14000 it is a bargain for someone. Despite the fact that its a LUX with extras and in immaculate condition there just hasnt really been any interest in it.
Just thought that it may be a warning to anyone thinking of buying one. There doesnt seem to be much of a market for them secondhand!

Last edited:
I noticed that when browsing them on autotrader. Can get one with under 2k miles for 16k, which is shocking when they were £22k odd a few months back

If i was in the market to spend £14000 on a 2nd hand turbo'd Renaultsport, my money would go to a Meg 250/265. I would imagine this is the main issue when it comes to selling 200T's 2nd hand.

Might be worth taking a visit to WeBuyAnyCar and seeing what they will offer you as a worst case scenario if you dont fancy waiting anymore.

If i was in the market to spend £14000 on a 2nd hand turbo'd Renaultsport, my money would go to a Meg 250/265. I would imagine this is the main issue when it comes to selling 200T's 2nd hand.

Might be worth taking a visit to WeBuyAnyCar and seeing what they will offer you as a worst case scenario if you dont fancy waiting anymore.

Offered me just under 12k lol.

Good 2nd hand buy though for someone that wants one (like me). Picked one up that was little more than 3 months old and pretty much saved the first years depreciation on it. Certainly glad that I didn't buy one new now. And in my case, when I'm finished with it, I shall just PX it. Never had a lot of luck trying to sell cars privately (or via Ebay / Autotrader).

I know there are a fair few that don't like them, but for me (at this point in time) it suits me. And if you can accept and work round the gearboxes "foibles" it's still a cracking car to drive. We can't all like the same thing :smile:

Though never a good time of the year to sell any car (IE. from Oct onwards people are starting to think about Christmas etc.).

LindaA... Sorry to hear that you still have not managed to shift it. As you say, I think at £14k it's a very keen price. Arnold Clark (Glasgow) had to drop the price of their X-demo to this to shift it and that was not as well equipped as yours.

Have you tried an advert on Pistonheads? It's the only place that I've ever managed to shift a car O/L. Only ever had tyres kickers and time wasters (with silly offers) on Ebay / Autotrader. Maybe just my bad luck... but I've heard the same comment from other folks as well.

To be totally honest... I would say 2nd hand prices (taking into account that prices are always weaker at this time of year) are about in line with what I would expect. You are going to loose at least 30% in the first year. So assuming £22k list, that's around £15.4k retail after one year. Cars have always been the worst investment imaginable. And this is before taking into account the potential -ve equity introduced when taking out any finance.

One sites quotes the following for a 12 month old 200t lux on 20k miles (2013/63):

Retail:£15,927
Private Good:£14,017
Private Average:£12,607
Private Poor:£11,967
Part Exchange:£13,507
Trade:£12,864

So I would say that Linda has her car pitched about right. If it was me, I would hang onto it and try again in the Spring. Though I understand that this is probably not what you may want to do.

The problem with hanging on to it is that it will then be four months older, have four months less warranty and I will have had to insure and tax it for that time as well. May just as well sell to webuyanycar! I did try one site and they didnt want to offer for it at all!
In the meantime I still have my 2007 197 with 90000 on the clock. While I love it dearly and am glad that I still have it to drive, it now needs a new manifold, new tyres and a service. All things that I hoped to avoid by selling it some months back. I can neither sell it or keep it without having them done.
Wish I had never set eyes on the 200T!

The problem with hanging on to it is that it will then be four months older, have four months less warranty and I will have had to insure and tax it for that time as well. May just as well sell to webuyanycar! I did try one site and they didnt want to offer for it at all!
In the meantime I still have my 2007 197 with 90000 on the clock. While I love it dearly and am glad that I still have it to drive, it now needs a new manifold, new tyres and a service. All things that I hoped to avoid by selling it some months back. I can neither sell it or keep it without having them done.

I do genuinely feel for you. A very hard lesson and a bitter pill to swallow... but as you say "May just as well sell to webuyanycar!". I sold our 2nd car to them earlier in the year and the price wasn't that bad, around trade (IE. bottom book). But like you, I wanted rid and luckily we had had the car long enough that it didn't owe us too much. So decided it was time to just get rid of it and move to running just one car. Certainly would not hurt to at least go via their site and get a quote (no obligation). But looking at the above figures, I would reckon you are looking at around the £12k mark. Always a BIG loss if you have to try and shift a motor so soon after purchase. It probably varies depending on which exact outlet you deal with, but the guy I went and saw was pretty decent, knocked a couple of hundred off for some scratches on the body work (I had sort of expected that). But besides that and their flat rate charge, that was it really. Done and dusted in less than an hour.

Got to be honest and say that I think your chances of selling a car this close to the end of the year, are pretty much zero (regardless of what make/model it was) and first thing in the new year, people are counting the cost of Christmas and folks thoughts only really seem to turn to the idea of buying a new car, come the Spring time. Always the odd exception, but in some 40 years of buying and selling cars, this is my personal experience.

Good luck what ever you decide.

I wouldn't even try and sell privately really. Thought about it, but as has been said if I wanted to get rid id just p/x as I know i'll clear the finance on it.

I dont really want to but mine will have to go if I get the job I'm after on Tuesday as I will hardly be in the country so no point in paying £300 odd p/m for it, and when I am I'll be driving to East Midlands on a regular basis, even though you can claim the fuel back I'd rather have something more motorway friendly ect.

Theres a few dealers round the country that will buy your car off you without p/x'ing which may be worth a look.

Had the same issue this time last year selling privately, waited until feb and it shifted no problem, just a personal view point but have you considered getting the alloys sprayed black as the majority seem to have these and may make it more desirable.
Your pricing is spot on, sod selling to the we buy any car clang unless you need to funds ASAP.

wewantanycar offer better prices than we buy any car! I'll put money on it being a better offer. It was for my twingo rs

Unluckily ... the problem is still that anyone in the trade making an offer on the car, will want to factor in the time of year it is. Try asking any car sales person how many sales they make in December/January! Any dealer (unless they have a buyer sitting in the wings) will be aware that they will almost certainly (unless disposing via an auction) end up up having to sit on the car for at least a couple of months, maybe more.

A friend of mine is trying to dispose of a BMW M3 and having similar difficulties. Only offers he has had, are from people chancing their arm and trying to get the car really cheap! In my opinion he was mad to buy another car without having already disposed of the M3.

Unluckily ... the problem is still that anyone in the trade making an offer on the car, will want to factor in the time of year it is. Try asking any car sales person how many sales they make in December/January! Any dealer (unless they have a buyer sitting in the wings) will be aware that they will almost certainly (unless disposing via an auction) end up up having to sit on the car for at least a couple of months, maybe more.

A friend of mine is trying to dispose of a BMW M3 and having similar difficulties. Only offers he has had, are from people chancing their arm and trying to get the car really cheap! In my opinion he was mad to buy another car without having already disposed of the M3.

As I sit here in an empty showroom wishing it was April already.

Now is a great time to be a buyer. If more people knew how much more price flexibility we have at this time of year....

As I sit here in an empty showroom wishing it was April already.

Now is a great time to be a buyer. If more people knew how much more price flexibility we have at this time of year....

Indeed... exactly why I bought my previous car in December (Suzuki Swift Sport).

Good time to be a buyer. But unluckily... not a good time to try and dispose of a car.

Indeed... exactly why I bought my previous car in December (Suzuki Swift Sport).

Good time to be a buyer. But unluckily... not a good time to try and dispose of a car.

Well ill it's tit for tat really, most people sell a car to buy another , unless your px or use a site like wbac.

As to the op, you say you hate the gearbox which is fair play, but things to improve with time, why don't you try using it for a couple of months then sell it in a better season if you still don't like it.

I just went to PX my 197 and they wouldn't even let me test drive it as they just didn't want to Clio.

Turned into a real asshole too saying it was rear ended and rolled etc etc.