Cleared out the leaf collector

stuey

Gold Member
On Saturday I decided to try and clean out the leaves and moss that have collected under the plastic scuttle panel. They get in around the bonnet hinge, and work their way down. I had a poke around with the narrow hoover nozzle, but couldnt really get in. So, I decided to remove the panel to get in properly. This involves taking off the rubber seal, taking out the two quarter turn fixings that hold the sides down, and removing the wiper arms. The quarter turn fixings were a bit of a pig to get out, a forked trim tool would help here. The centre wiper arm is hard to pull away from the spindle as it is under tension from the spring. Once this has been done, I cleaned out the build up of mess, and checked the two drains were clear. I noticed on the nearside that a little pool of water can sit there, due to my drive being on a slight angle. This would go down the drain once the car is on the move. I decided to spray a little waxoyl in a few places where damp can sit, to give more protection. Put it back together, all clean. One tip, dont clean the screen beforehand as the marks from the wiper blades show where to realign the wiper arms. I think this would be a worthwhile job to do occasionally to avoid any buildup.
I was thinking of getting an old sponge to stuff in the gap whilst the car is not being used (dont drive every day), to stop any crap getting in and allow the water to pass through.

Noting that there are two gutter drains either side in that gap under the scuttle panel so dont block too much up or you'll just end up with more moisture mate.

The plan is to allow any water to flow past, but stop leaves and moss balls getting in. Wont need to clean them out then hopefully!!

Similar Thread Suggestions