Clio 197 oem+ project thread

So, many of you will remember me from cliosport. when I had a green phase 1 clio, which was a few mm from the floor!

Much has changed since then, and I owned a R53 cooper S for 12 months. It started life standard & ended up like this. I then got bored of the race car life and sold it.
4a9a2ary.jpgravevyze.jpg

So that brings me to my new car: clio 197, 55K on the clock, full dealer history including belts being done etc etc

Plans for the minute are a good detail inside and out. Panel filter, lowering springs, cup spoiler & refurb the wheels black
2a4eru8a.jpgape5y6ad.jpggy6u7e3y.jpgsa6avure.jpgby7u5uqu.jpg

I also have another little weekend toy these days; a mk1 mx5 California, love this car, best thing I've driven, also soon to be turbo'd. But that's a whole nother project thread :wink:

yrypaqez.jpgaqyta5yg.jpg

Had a good look over the car today. Found the offside front spring broken &a slight oil leak around the rocker.

Also noticed the car has a real hesitation around 1500-2500k almost like a missfire. It has got the centre silencer removed if this makes any difference?

Anyway I've ordered

Genuine cup spoiler
H&R lowering springs
Genuine sport mats
Ngk platinum spark plugs
Ktr panel filter

Done some work on the car today.

H&R springs fitted
Sport floor mats fitted
Ktec panel filter fitted
Ngk platinum plugs fitted
Rocker cover bolts removed and sealed

Done the mod to the inlet manifold sensor. Flat spot is still really bad. Especially in 2nd gear at 2500rpm it really misfires. Also had the engine management light flash at me today but stopped after about 10 seconds and hasn't happened since. Is a coil starting to fail?

e8eve9ah.jpg2ubujyru.jpg

Lovely!

You can test the coil packs by letting the car idle and unplugging them one by one. The coil which doesn't alter the idle rev is your problem.

Ps loving the MX... And get some pics up of the green ph1!

Yeah I know about testing them that way, my problem is the car runs fine on Idle and above 3k just anything under it misfires all over the place

With the centre section gone it has a really bad flatspot mate unless you map it.

That mini looks epic, what power was it?

Is your mrs picking her nose in the interior shot lol?

Yeah might have to get it mapped I think, & the mini was 220bhp at the flywheel.

Just noticed that picture. It very much looks like it lmao!!!!!!

Really enjoying the car at the moment, trying to sort out all the little niggles, regassed the aircon and that seems all okay now, fitted silvervision indicator bulbs & led side lights,

Only one thing that's annoying me, when driving it hard, 5K plus, there's a very slight crunch going into 3rd, no other gear, really hope the syncros aren't starting to go. Being a Ex renault technician it's not to much of an issue if I've got to change the box. Just a pain in the ass!!!

Going to change the gearbox oil next week, along with the clutch fluid, brake fluid, and engine oil & filter and see what she's like then. umy7a4ub.jpgyve6yqyg.jpg

Gearbox fluid change makes a big difference in these. Also it's usually 4th gear that goes so hopefully your fine.

Cup spoiler fitted today, along with upper engine mount support & powerflex torque arm, also colour coded centre dashta7aqete.jpgnadume2y.jpgyzupa4u3.jpgamagybuq.jpg

3rd or 4th crunches usually indicates Syncros. That's as far as I know. I get a 3rd gear crunch but only on cold, I very much baby it very slowly in to 3rd when it's cold. Once it's warm, it's an animal.

Just be very gentle with 3rd gear when it's cold or you'll find yourself doing that gearbox job quite soon. Leave it move itself in, always. Just match the revs on the upshift if you've taken extra care to stop the kangaroo.