200: Clio Gone

Well, after nearly two years of happy ownership, and mostly on impulse I've replaced the Clio.

It was a shame to see it go as it was a great drive and gorgeous looking, really well looked after, too. It's a shame I couldn't justify keeping it but with a weekend toy already there wasn't a place for it. My wife was tempted but "didn't fancy my hand-my-down"!

I picked it up 20 months and 12K from new and put 22K of mainly motorway miles. As it was mainly a commuting car, I only had a few really memorable drives, the best being our trip to (and mostly around) the Loire valley in January '13. The roads down there were epic, and I was so glad I had the 200 instead of some sensible euro-box, even with a 1 year old in the back. (for those of you without kids, it's not the baby or baby-seat that takes the space, it's the 2 tonnes of paraphernalia).

So, whilst I had the chance (and I doubt I'll have another) I took some snaps of my collection of cars (it's officially a 'collection' if you have more than 2!)
P1010041.jpg
If it's possible to feel sorry for a car....

P1010085a.jpg
P1010082.jpg
P1010086.jpg
It's not often in life you get the chance for these sorts of photos (well, not in my life...)

P1010067.jpg
I will miss the LY, and other touches that made the 200 look special.

As for my thoughts of the 135? It's certainly quick, quite brutal tbh. It took a bit of getting used to using an auto-box and come to terms with becoming the lazy-fat-American type of driver that I would have previously felt superior to. I'm starting to try the paddles a bit more when in Sport, it's a bit like learning to drive again. What I like the best though is the Jekyll and Hyde nature. It'll do low 40's mpg in eco on the motorway, press a switch and it's quite hard core.

Things I preferred with the Clio - the colour, the looks (the 1 series looks handsome at best), the handling felt smallish-car neat, the price!. The BM - the sound, the straight line performance, rear wheel drive, the gadgets, the refinement the rest of the time, 5 doors.

Thing I'll miss the most - I felt happy to call myself an RS Clio driver, I'm not sure I feel like a BMW owner or much affinity with other owners.

Anyway, another chapter ends in my car ownership and I'm relishing the next one.

If anyone is in the Worcester area (I can't be arsed with postage) I've got a genuine cargo net, Halfords spare bulb kit and best of all an unused RS detailing kit in it's case if anyone would like to make a small contribution to my beer fund. PM if they're any use.

And if the next owner of LN60XAK makes it over here - you've bought a cracking car.....

I'm quite interested in hearing about that Elise :smile:

whats one like compared to the Clio?

Id be intrested in the detailing case be a good addition to the 200t. Pm me a price :smile: i bet the bmw is a bit of a sleeper as most people wouldnt know what it can do ?

Lovely collection mate. If the cargo net fits across the boot floor (I have no back seats) I'll take it for suitable amount of beer tokens. In brum so not far from you and would certainly like a nosey at the remainder of your collection!

PM me if you like.

Looks nice mate. Will be a nice reliable car!

Clio is lovely, someones got a cracking car there.

I'm quite interested in hearing about that Elise :smile:

whats one like compared to the Clio?

Power-delivery-wise very similar in that you have to get to the top of the rev band to release the bhp's. My Elise is the 189hp or so Toyota 1.8, with a second cam that comes in at around 5,500RPM, feels a little like a turbo-boost. Also in factory guise, neither engine sounds that amazing, especially at lower revs. I put a Larini exhaust on the Lotus this year, which seems to have cured that!

I had the Elise as a daily drive for nearly 2 years then got the Clio and made the Elise my weekend car. The main thing I noticed swapping from one to the other was how refined the Clio was (not that it especially is or isn't) as a daily drive. Even with the Cup Chassis it felt reasonably comfy on the motorway. In comparison, the Clio's driving position seemed quite high up and the steering wheel huge, but again, this could probably said about any hatch. In the Elise you basically sit a few inches off the floor and the steering wheel is tiny.

If I hadn't driven the Elise for a while, I'd forget the performance gap a little, e.g. I get into the Elise thinking the Clio was quick and......foot down...second cam....ok....so that's quick.

The Elise was naturally more nimble and I've preferred RWD for a few years now. Elises' main strengths are their balance, road-handling and steering feed back (non-assisted). In fairness, after I got the Clio, I never drove the Elise in the wet again - one thing I would say is that you could enjoy the Clio more in a range of weather's - an Elise in the wet does need to be driven with care. I imagine for most owners, your favourite road in a Clio would be just the same road in an Elise.

I also love top-down driving (especially with this week's weather) so the Elise obviously wins there, and the other thing about it is that just getting in and out gives a sense of occasion, dropping into Tesco's for milk in the Elise would seem like an event.

The other thing is that the Elise is now holding it's value quite well, so apart from fuel, servicing and insurance I'm not really paying too much to own it. Basically it's a keeper, I'll almost certainly still have it when I sell the BMW. In fact my wife tells me our 2 year old daughter is due to inherit it when I can no longer get in and out of it.

They were a good combo though, it's easy to see that Elise drivers would enjoy the Clio and vice-versa. They did compliment each other and both have good owner's communities too. In my view they both appeal to driver's that enjoy driving more than top-trumps performance or bling.

P1010101.jpg

P1010095.jpg

P1010102.jpg

P1010088.jpg

Great collection of cars! (I agree 2+ then it's a collection)
Great review of the elise in comparison to the Clio, I imagine the Elise and the M135i will give a more varied driving experience!

Elise is the dream for me :innocent: :jase2: