Continental Tyre Split

Has anyone else had a tyre split, like the following: I've never had this happen to me before and hadn't noticed it as its on the inside and the wear marks hadn't been reached yet.. The tyre is a Continental Contact Sport 3

534574_10151314756066458_1477606544_n.jpg

-Andy

I'm on tapatalk but that looks massively warn if not illegal and if you have been on track it wouldn't surprise me one bit and my edges look hammered.

It looks to have been running big neg camber combine that with what looks like a excessive left to right wear i can only assume the wear + heat has caused the split .

It looks to have been running big neg camber combine that with what looks like a excessive left to right wear i can only assume the wear + heat has caused the split .

i would agree - the excessive wear is the cause of the split - its lost most of the capping rubber off the carcass on the edge!

Also worth noting there is some "side" wear

Leading me to believe the issue is probably too much castor as well which then in turn multiplies the camber when turning .

with regard to castor and camber, the car suspension wise is standard, and never been curbed etc, I'll get these measured but believe them to be fine...

maybe the 300lb+ of torque might be a significant factor

What pressures have you been using?

Perhaps you'd be better off with something like the AD08s for a bit more stiffness in the sidewall.

just the standard pressures that are stated on the drivers door (can't remember what it says) and checked regularly

was considering the RE050A's maybe as can get them for just over £100 each

with regard to castor and camber, the car suspension wise is standard, and never been curbed etc, I'll get these measured but believe them to be fine...

maybe the 300lb+ of torque might be a significant factor

Doubt the torque was an issue we ran more much more in some cases and with the correct set up it was fine

Doubt the torque was an issue we ran more much more in some cases and with the correct set up it was fine

I've done 15k miles, the car has no lsd also..

Is there anyway the castor could be wrong, when the suspension is all standard?

Also do you know what the camber should be as standard?

-Andy

what engine/gear are you running to get that power? Any extra weight will most likely push the engine bay down which will I would have expected to make the front wheels point in which would cause that? Thats the only thing I can think of if you've never curbed it I'd get the camber checked..

what engine/gear are you running to get that power? Any extra weight will most likely push the engine bay down which will I would have expected to make the front wheels point in which would cause that? Thats the only thing I can think of if you've never curbed it I'd get the camber checked..
I'll get it all checked tuesday and report back..

Its the meg engine, and clio box

Have to say I was a bit shocked with the split

you mean toe-out to wear the shoulders on the inside...

can anyone point me in the direction of what the settings should be standard and I'll get toe, camber checked and castor if garage has the kit..

-Andy

Yeah looks like too much camber on the wheels caused all the excessive wear and or incorrect castor or toe out. I'd get it all properly checked out mate, I'm guessing the Meg engine is heavier than the Clio which might explain why yours could be out on standard suspension.

TBH the split doesn't really surprise me, it's the way the tyres are built, + your miles beyond the legal limit on the inside of that.

just the standard pressures that are stated on the drivers door (can't remember what it says) and checked regularly

was considering the RE050A's maybe as can get them for just over £100 each

The RE050A is a fantastic tyre. Just be sure to get the 'A' version as they do a RE050 which isn't as good from experience. They will be the next tyres going onto my 200.