Contisportcontact 5-215/45R17 91W XL FR TL (Suitable for the 197?)

luke197

Platinum Member
Hi Guys,

I know this has been covered in previous threads but cant find a definitive answer. Are these tires good on a 197? and due to them being XL do i need to run them with an increased tire pressure?

Cheers Luke

I'd get the 87 W's.. That's what they were from the factory, should be slightly cheaper too.

Last look they were £98 each from Camskill

Thanks for the advice mate. So you don't think the XL will offer any benefit? Ive got the cup chassis so ride comfort isn't really my priority :evil:.

I couldn't comment on any improvements..

All I know is I wouldn't even consider it.. Reno spend millions on testing/chassis work etc to get it perfect, I'd imagine the 87's are perfect for the car else they'd of probably specced 91's themselves.

I imagine your right mate. I was only asking due to reading some good things about them in other threads, due to their stiffer side walls. Hopefully someone will be along soon that's had them fitted to shed a little light on the subject.

To throw a cat among the pigeons I ran conti sport contacts on my last car and thought they were awful (particularly in the wet) so quickly changed. Having bought a 200 with them on it my opinion hasn't changed. On the last car I switched to Pirelli PZero Neros which were a lot better and then to Bridgestone Potenza RE050As which were fantastic and which i'll be fitting once the contis are done.

Last edited:
I got a set of 91W XL and they are fine, the increase in load index and XL is not noticeable in terms of worse ride quality, wonder if the tyre itself differs in weight if its a 87W or a 91W XL....

I've had mine fitted now for 3months and can't complain, went for XL after that's what was on there.