Cup Spoiler Repair or Buy a New One?

Hello,

My spoiler was forcefully removed from my car and as a result the bolt lugs have snapped off.

Does anyone know if these lugs can be repaired or better yet can anyone repair these?

I've only had the car a week so as you can imagine I'm gutted.

Failing all that I have a damaged cup spoiler if anyone wants it!

Thanks

Bryan.

IMG_7590.jpg

danny197, I'm slowly coming round to the idea that I might need to fork out for a new one.

I wish there was an amazing reason for my spoiler being detached...but I had a little accident involving a car that needed washed and a man too lazy to do it himself.

Looks like youve bent the top of your boot too..
would putting a new one of sit straight? Looks to be tilting towards the front

You have a very keen eye there BlackTwingo-i

I have indeed bent the top of the boot lid forwards/downwards. This will need straightened. The bit that is bent sits mostly under the spoiler so I'm not too worried about it being perfect.

You best bet for a replacement and repair might be the KTec Sprint spoiler. Will cover that damage nicely (and looks better than the cup spoiler).

I'm suprised a car wash did that tbh, unless the spoiler was over tightened when it was fitted causing a stress fracture in the plastic.

Either way its a ****ter. Paddy is bang on with his suggestion about the sprint spoiler.

Never used a car wash but it should be sign posted that cars with spoilers aren't allowed so check and claim if it doesn't.

Never used a car wash but it should be sign posted that cars with spoilers aren't allowed so check and claim if it doesn't.

I doubt that'd work as I bet there's a sign to say that "the establishment accepts no liability for damage caused by using this car wash, use at your own risk" theres no way that sign will be missing :worried:

I've used hundreds of car washes and never a problem, hence why I suggested earlier that the spoiler itself failed. Car washes don't put that much pressure on the car....

I remember seeing a 5th Gear where they tested different car washing techniques. 3 new cars were inspected by an "expert" then the paint inspected after washing, out of the car wash, jet wash and hand wash the car wash was the surprising winner for doing less damage to the paint.

I doubt that'd work as I bet there's a sign to say that "the establishment accepts no liability for damage caused by using this car wash, use at your own risk" theres no way that sign will be missing :worried:

There is a sign unfortunately.

Never mind. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've used hundreds of car washes and never a problem, hence why I suggested earlier that the spoiler itself failed. Car washes don't put that much pressure on the car....

I remember seeing a 5th Gear where they tested different car washing techniques. 3 new cars were inspected by an "expert" then the paint inspected after washing, out of the car wash, jet wash and hand wash the car wash was the surprising winner for doing less damage to the paint.

I don't know if it would be worth the hassle to argue that point. The logic behind it is clear but is assume Renault, like the car wash company, will just say that I shouldn't have used the car wash.

The spoiler was ripped off with pressure from the back so it was pulled up. I'm wondering if one of the sharps on the roller because stuck/tangled on the spoiler.

I'm not ever going to know for sure.

Some interesting points to note though:

•When I removed the remaining bolts from the boot lid the ones on the driver side came out with a gently turn with an Allen key and the other side took a fair bit of tugging to even ten the bolt.

•Only the drivers side of the boot lid was dented as the spoiler was ripped off.

Just a quick update.

I've ordered a new spoiler...I'll maybe keep quiet which one I went for until it's fitted. Only because this will be my only 'mod' for the next few months so I might as well build up to it.

I phoned K-Tec at roughly 2pm this afternoon and it should be with me by tomorrow. That is amazing service!

When it arrives I will be looking for a spray painter in the Lanarkshire area if anyone knows someone.

Thanks again for all the feed back on what to do.

Bryan

Sure I've seen a test somewhere that shows the total opposite. If it was the way your saying, why do detailers use snow foams, wash mitts etc? If never run my car through a car wash at a petrol station!