Decat + Insurance

Hi All,

Might seem a dumb question but, those of you who have decats...what is your situtation with insurance and relation to mods?

Had bad history with insurance and don't want it to be void at any point...

Cheers :smile:

Pretty sure it's illegal to not have a cat fitted, and therefore insurance would also be void. Good luck.

Exhaust modification. :tongueout:anic: long as it has a valid MOT should be fine! But phone up your insurer and explain it.

Exhaust modification. :tongueout:anic: long as it has a valid MOT should be fine! But phone up your insurer and explain it.

But as Matt put with a Decat effectively being illegal how would you explain that?

Puts me off even considering a decat :worried:

I'd suggest declaring it too. It's sod's law that you don't mention it and then have to make a claim - the insurance company discover the mod and void the insurance. It's a big risk if you aren't transparent with them about things.

Bit of a grey area as far as I'm aware. Whilst it's not specifically illegal, the vehicle would be deemed unroadworthy, due to excess emissions. No doubt, declare it as a modified exhaust to insurers, however. I doubt they would run an emission test post incident, but would likely discover the aftermarket alteration.

Declared on insurance as exhaust mod with Decat pipe fitted, they had no issues with it as long as it has a valid MOT.

Cheers for the advice guys, Ive not properly looked into it all as Id still be in a bit of a dead end with the MOT situation but this has helped my worries a bit. :smile:

It should still pass an MOT with just the precat in place, as mine has everytime. A sports cat may help your situation though!

Well as others have mentioned, its a bit of a grey area, as strictly your not allowed to remove them because of the emissions, but if it still passes the mot with the pre-cat then your fine, just declare it as exhaust modifications. Maybe just get a sports cat?

Thanks again Chris + Tuck, would a sports cat still produce more pops + bangs cause effectively thats what im going for? :lol2:

Although some flames would be fun :001_tt1:...I believe even more than a decat would be needed for that though?

If you have a non-resonated cat back system and a decat you will get loads of pops and bangs, as thats what I have. Not too sure with a sports cat though, Maybe a KTR crackle map would help you achieve what you're after. But for flames I think you'd need a full decat, I was told the cup racers keep the standard manifold and pull all the packing out, they get lots of flames. What about a 90's style flame kit :tongueout:

Ill see what I can find in regards to a sports cat...

If i can find a friendly MOT garage I would just go full decat :smile:

Haha 90s style flame kit? Dont know how I could explain that to the GF...

Old bill are wising onto decats now, they'll have no problems looking under the car and identifying a lack of cat.

On these particular cars though the car can pass emissions with just the precat so I would consider that roadworthy and legal.

If the vehicle is road legal, we can cover it. If you need any help insuring it by all means give me a shout - If you PM me your details I can arrange a call back for you.

Regards
Dan

If the vehicle is road legal, we can cover it. If you need any help insuring it by all means give me a shout - If you PM me your details I can arrange a call back for you.

Regards
Dan

So if say i had an mot last week and passed with a cat and put a decat on this week you would insure it? It cant have an mot with a decat so basically isnt road legal therefor making it impossible for you to insure, correct me if im wrong but it seems your saying NO you wouldnt be able to insure it

Also if you had an accident and they checked over you car theyd hammer you for a decat