DIY disaster!

iAndy

Platinum Member
Anyone have a good idea how to get a drill bit outta a wall when its stuck?? Was putting a 22mm hole through with a very capable makita drill and it's got stuck on the second skin of stone... Now I have about 200mm of a meter long drill bit stuck into my bedroom where a CCTV cable should be run :worried:

Tried hitting it with a hammer.... Then the head came off the hammer, tried to get the drill to loosen it up and it smells like clutch is slipping and wiggling it until I fell over..... HELP !!

It's in a very awkward place :worried: think I may try hitting it from the outside back into the house.

Local body shop have quoted £30 for spoiler fitting and I know they are good, the said side skirts won't be much either should get both done in 2 or 3 hours so will leave it to them. Just the decals to sort but the guy who is tinting car says he can do them at same time or if they are tricky he knows a good sign writer

Only thing I could say is hit it in/out then try turn it clockwise then ain't clockwise, last resort would be to drill next to it for me. All you really need to do is take the pressure off it. Depending in how confident you are of your measurements you could always drill from the other side?

I know exactly where it is and can feel the bit from other side so gonna try the drill from otherside method tomorrow when I get another bit, all this because some freak was posting pound coins through my letter box!

Just out of interest how was you drilling the hole? Did you try and drill straight through the wall or did you keep pulling the drill in and out of the hole?

Sounds like the drill is not upto the job either. Never had a drill bit get stuck in a wall before!

Last edited:
Also have you tried drilling in the opposite direction? If you hit it from inside you will have to hit it from the other side first to knock it back in.

You might have some insulation caught around the drill bit hence why its not moving.

Yeah i was a bit shocked to come down to a few pound coins through the letterbox too, think they got the wrong house lol, drill should be more than capable, i sell power tools and the one i was using was rated for the job at 28mm and it was piloted at 12mm the 16mm then the 22mm went for it, am thinking it may have slipped in the cavity and got stuck :s

Could try grabbing it with mole grips and turning it in reverse direction. If that slips grind some flats onto it and try with mole grips again.

Could try grabbing it with mole grips and turning it in reverse direction. If that slips grind some flats onto it and try with mole grips again.

what i was gonna say.

Not sure why your fussed about money coming through the letterbox though ... Next you'll be moaning about topless women standing outside your front window.

If all else fails, saw it off, cement over it and start again an inch down the wall lol

what i was gonna say.

Not sure why your fussed about money coming through the letterbox though ... Next you'll be moaning about topless women standing outside your front window.

If all else fails, saw it off, cement over it and start again an inch down the wall lol

+2 on the mole grips and manpower!!! :wink:

+1 on the bodge-it-and-ignore-it idea!!! :smiley:

If the pound coins are still coming through the letter box, wait a couple of weeks and you'll have enough to get the professionals in :clap:

In the mean time, at least you have somewere to hang your coat.

Is the Drill your using cordless? A Makita 18v Lithium ion cordless combi drill would struggle to drill a 22mm hole through an exterior wall, you need a 'corded' sds drill or a proper 24v/36v 'cordless' sds drill for such a task. As for getting the thing out, I would suggest ''borrowing'' a bigger drill from your work and putting it in reverse with the torque set all the way up and hold on tight.

It's out came out a dream, drilled from other side with a new bit then used extension bar from socket set and a bigger hammer and hey presto job done, now whoever posted the pound coins please continue and whoever broke into car, I'll be able to see who you are next time...... Then hunt them down lol