Do you protect your NCD when insuring your Clio?

Been messing with quotes on Elephant, which if you dint know is a subsiduary of Admiral. I have come across a few this that might be of interest.
Car on the street £120 CHEAPER than in a garage.
My job is a pricing/accounts analyst so as there is no exactly job description I have to pick the closest. Choosing Business Analyst over Accounts Assistant was £80 cheaper.
If you are lucky enough to live with your girlfriend or boyfriend make sure you put cohabiting rather than single as that made it £40 cheaper.
Lastly and this is the biggy. I have 4 years no claims which means I can protect my no claims. Protecting would cost me £215. So I thought I'll just check what would happen if I made a claim and lost 2 years. The price with 2 years NCD was only £40 than 4 years NCD and the price with nil NCD was only £20 more than the quote with protected NCD of 4 years. This therefore begs the question why protect your no claims?? I have never protected my NCD, I have had 1 claim in 11years and lost 2 years from a max NCD of 5 years. I am 100% confident this is the best thing to do. Remember protected NCD is NOT protected premium. Your premium will rise regardless in the event of a claim.
Obviously this is just one company and others will differ but I hope this gives you something to think about and saves you a bob or 2 in the process.

I'm the main driver, both parents as NAMED (no fronting) drivers.
Knocks £500 off.

Pretty sure admiral have a stake in Gocompare too..... It's all a load of ********, I know people with £400 cars that pay as much as me in insurance and they have more NCDs and no convictions.

Insurance is a joke

nice little bit of research there fella :thumbup1:

i dont protect mine.....never have :bat:

Ours are guaranteed so we can make as many claims as we like without losing our ncb. For me its too risky not to protact them, our premiums would go mental from what they are now (£450) if I lost my ncb. It doesnt cost me very much to protect either, about £45 iirc

Ours are guaranteed so we can make as many claims as we like without losing our ncb. For me its too risky not to protact them, our premiums would go mental from what they are now (£450) if I lost my ncb. It doesnt cost me very much to protect either, about £45 iirc

Let's say you make 3 claims. You will keep your NCD but you probably won't get insurance on the cars you have now and if you do manage it the premiums will still be very very high.

Let's say you make 3 claims. You will keep your NCD but you probably won't get insurance on the cars you have now and if you do manage it the premiums will still be very very high.

but not as high as they would beif I lost all my ncb :wink:

but not as high as they would beif I lost all my ncb :wink:

True but compare that difference to paying to protect your NCD for say 10 years.

I have had 1 claim in 11 years and the difference in premium it cost was less than protecting my NCD for 1 year.

I protect mine I'm allowed 3 claims in 2 yrs
Would rather have them protected than not
Puts about 8% on top sO in my case an extra £20

Like I said each company is different but ask yourself why they offer you protected no claims.

IMO it's;

1 to reinforce the myth of NCD. By myth I'm mean that many people mistakingly believe protected NCD means your premium won't go up.
2 doing so is profitable

Been messing with quotes on Elephant, which if you dint know is a subsiduary of Admiral. I have come across a few this that might be of interest.
Car on the street £120 CHEAPER than in a garage.
My job is a pricing/accounts analyst so as there is no exactly job description I have to pick the closest. Choosing Business Analyst over Accounts Assistant was £80 cheaper.
If you are lucky enough to live with your girlfriend or boyfriend make sure you put cohabiting rather than single as that made it £40 cheaper.
Lastly and this is the biggy. I have 4 years no claims which means I can protect my no claims. Protecting would cost me £215. So I thought I'll just check what would happen if I made a claim and lost 2 years. The price with 2 years NCD was only £40 than 4 years NCD and the price with nil NCD was only £20 more than the quote with protected NCD of 4 years. This therefore begs the question why protect your no claims?? I have never protected my NCD, I have had 1 claim in 11years and lost 2 years from a max NCD of 5 years. I am 100% confident this is the best thing to do. Remember protected NCD is NOT protected premium. Your premium will rise regardless in the event of a claim.
Obviously this is just one company and others will differ but I hope this gives you something to think about and saves you a bob or 2 in the process.

Yep, theres loads of things you can tweak with all policies that can make huge difference. The advantage with elephant is it is online so you can tweak it there and then manually.

Job titile -Can make a huge difference, make sure you put you exact job, or else you could get penalised for it. The diff between an IT manager say and general IT can be quite a bit, as they see a manager as someone with responsibility, therefor more careful. Engineers, doctors, boring sensible jobs get better premiums. Journalists etc higher risk jobs get worse premiums.

Location of car over night - Garage always lowest premiums, followed by driveway, off road etc. If you have a garage full of junk clear it out and use it, can save loads especially in high risk areas.

Mileage - obvious, lower mileage = less premium. Also recently I got a policy where by the times of my commute were before 8am and after 6pm, I got it cheaper!

SDP + commuting - if you don't use the car for work, don't pay for it, you'll get SDP cheaper on it's own.

Single/Married/Mortgage etc - If your married, co-habiting you'll get a cheaper policy (usually) and if you own a property. They see you as a lower risk (not fair I know!) Kids can be a funny one, I always thought kids = a cheaper policy because they think you will drive sensibly.. however I have found out that most insurers see this as a distraction (kids under 16) so often this goes up.

The classic - women driver 99 times out of a 100 on a sportier car = a cheaper policy. Get your wife or GF, sister, mother anyone on the policy even as a second driver and it can drop. My missus brought mine down by £400!!?? and I'm 31.

True but compare that difference to paying to protect your NCD for say 10 years.

I have had 1 claim in 11 years and the difference in premium it cost was less than protecting my NCD for 1 year.

Ok so if I pay for the protection for the next 10 it will cost me an extra £450 based on the cost of it this year. If I lost my ncb completely I can gaurantee it would cost me more than that over the next 2 years let alone 10.

I had a small bump in gems car 4 years ago, her ncb where protected, ok she didn't get the ncb for that year but the premium only went up around £50, and that was on a 182.

Ok so if I pay for the protection for the next 10 it will cost me an extra £450 based on the cost of it this year. If I lost my ncb completely I can gaurantee it would cost me more than that over the next 2 years let alone 10.

I had a small bump in gems car 4 years ago, her ncb where protected, ok she didn't get the ncb for that year but the premium only went up around £50, and that was on a 182.

Well the difference between 5 years and 3 years for me(what you go to after 1 claim) was all of £10 with Admiral so I'm better off not protecting.

I'll give you the figures

4 years NCD unprotected £807
2 years unprotected £824
4 years protected £1024
0 NCD £1045

Last edited:
Well the difference between 5 years and 3 years for me(what you go to after 1 claim) was all of £10 with Admiral so I'm better off not protecting.

I'll give you the figures

4 years NCD unprotected £807
2 years unprotected £824
4 years protected £1024
0 NCD £1045

I didn't know companies did that with ncb loss, so if you hit someone you only loose 2 years ncb ?