February 2010 POTM comp...

jase

Founder
Platinum Member
February potm topic is..."Dark out"
due to the time of year it gets dark early, so make the most of the dark and take some pics.
(has to be dark enough for street lights to be on but doesn't have to be outside as long as we can tell it's "dark out").

rules...
no photo editing.
only 1 entry per car.
plain boarders only.
admin decision on photo suitability is final.
Picture must be recent(ie:taken after the topic is announced)
NEW RULE FOR 2010...if you win a potm comp then you wont be allowed to win the following months comp. this is to give others a chance to win.
(By all means you can still enter though)...
No profesionally taken pics, unless you are a profesional photographer yourself.

all entries must be in by sunday 28th of February at 12 noon.

OMG you MUST be joking lol.

Just been out down the road with two mates taking photos of the cars in Shoreham hehe!!! - but picture was taken before 20h48 when your post was made?!

Here it is in case though :smile:

potm1-1.jpg

Great pic Mike, you must be telepathic lol!

With regards to below I guess you will have to get back out tomorrow night lol, could look even better with some well lighted cloud cover!

Last edited:
Really really sorry to say it mike but sorry a rule is a rule.
Great photo though, just shame it was taken before I posted the topic.

Hi, Jase, can you clarify for me meaning of the editing?
If I took picture in raw, then calibrate white balance, contrast, brightness, expouse it's equal to editing?

I think that is editing, I may be wrong, I am gonna enter pics as they were taken this month!

I may be wrong though :smile:

photo's out the camera are sh1t in raw lol

modern SLR's have loads of stuff to sharpen and saturate straight out the camera.
So people with old SLR's cannot do any of that.

seems harsh not to able to change a RAW picture , as i take all my shots in RAW
and unless you tweek it, a jpg out the camera looks better.

any way not that any one is going to know you did anything.
every one tweeks a picture, people have always done dodge and burn even 20 years ago in a dark room.

And a modern digital sensor has to be sharpened to look ok "FACT"
(again a jpeg out the camera has loads of sharpening going on)

So no photo editing at all is never going to happen as your camera does it anyway lol

the reaon i say no editing is to give people with cheaper/older cameras a chance.

a modern compact will take a better looking pic than an old SLR due to all the over saturating and onboard sharpening going on, not to mention noise reduction.

the people with the old camera's are at a massive disadvantage as not much onboard processing going on. hence they need to be able to edit.

I have 6k worth of SLR stuff but if I cannot change any thing in RAW my compact will look better and have more punch about it.
Or i could turn on all the fancy onboard DIGIC 4 image processing to make it look better.

even if you take in RAW and convert straight to jpg 25% sharpening has already happened.

That you could class as editing lol.

people will always edit white balance and sharpen as a sensor cannot give a good result.

which is why people like Canon spend £10000's on making a noob picture look ok with DIGIC 4 image processing.

So NO picture is infact how a sensor see's it :-/

liquid d,

I'm not being an ar*e here but it's a friendly bit of fun to get people out and about in their 197/200

From what you have said with your post in this thread your well clued up on taking pictures and with that sort of valued equipment I'll go out a whim and say your pretty good at it too. If thats true theres no doubt you will win it one month so theres not point picking holes in simple rules for a simple competition.

I'm only speaking out because I enjoy the competition (not that I'm any good to be competitive :lol:smile: when I can enter it and I don't want to see Jase getting sick of people nit picking and pulling the plug on it. :wink:

OMG this has turned into a bit of a mass-dabate :wink:

Plain pics from my camera it shall be!

If you can't play by the rules then don't play.!

This type of rubbish is exactly why I pulled the comp last time.
As mark said it's a bit of fun, so stop making it no fun.

:-(
was only stating facts about how a sensor and camera work.
I like fun so will shut up.

99.9 % of my pics are sh1t anyway lol I am more tech no design/art skills
but I do hope to enter and give it a go, might use my camera phone :smile: