Fitting inner tie rods

Went to get my tie rods, track rods and wheel alignment done today

I told the garage that the tie rods have no flats on them and a special tool is required and was told it would be fine

Anyway they couldn't get them off as they tried stilsons and isn't enough room on the 197.

So I went to 3 other places 2 said they didn't have tool and 3rd was Renault who wanted £200 labour

I found a local garage who say they can do it as they have a 'wrak wrench' tool which should fit

Can't believe how hard this has been to get done. I was going to do it myself but as the tool is so expensive I decided to go to a garage and I need the wheel alignment done anyway.

u need a set of plumbers dogs. these will move it as the harder u push the tighter they grip.

What do you mean stilsons? im a plumber and never heard of them lol

The garage today tried a pair of stilsons and there wasn't enough room

I've seen a specific tool which fits over and bites onto the socket but they're £75!

stilsons yeah thats there proper name if they dont move it try to let some GT85 soak in a an hour before probably just seized.

weird have you tried a smaller set of stilsons? i fail to see a special tool that would do this that isnt a stilson spanner thingy.

oh right yeah i see now. would it be worth buying and selling back on?

thats what im going to do mate.

only reason i took it to a garage in the first place was cos it would cost me same amount t buy tool as it did for them to do the work

also the tracking is out so wanted to kill 2 birds at once.

im back to work on wednesday so im going to see if i can fab something up

a 300mm length of 3/4" pipe (to fit over tie rod) with a 32mm socket on the end drilled and tapped around the circumference in 3 or 4 places with grub screws to bite into and hold the old ball and socket. weld an old socket with a square drive on the outer end to get torque wrench on and bobs your uncle.

industrial. working offshore mainly

its handy working locally for making tools and doing homers etc but i should be able to fit this in my kit bag if i make it!

you can get grips on the rack arms - just need it on full lock thats all - got some old style self locking gripps to get mine off - tricky to do !

the place i had it to yesterday knows a renault tech and is getting a lend of it next time im home.

im thinking about just doing it myself though. im tired of trying garages now for such a stupid little job