Flexi pipes

So recently my car has started making a terrible drone sound between 2-3k and 7-8k.. Slowly getting worse and today the exhaust sounded like a flute from inside. Decided to take it to my local garage and they found the flexi pipe was ruined. I have no choice but to get a new flexi pipe and they've quoted me £725..

Was a bit of a shock but they said it isn't the part that costs, it's the work to replace it as it's very time consuming...

Does this sound about the right price or could anyone recommend a place to go to get it done cheaper?

Thanks!

Stu

Lots of threads about this already.

You can get new flexi joints off eBay for about £50.

What the cost is that they have quoted you for is because the manifold is very difficult to get out & get back in, lots of work.

Mine went and I paid £100 for another manifold off a breakers, then it was about £300 labour to get the old one out and new one in.

You have various options:

Brand new toyosport manifold is £230. (these are a popular choice)
Find an old manifold on eBay that is broken, then get that repaired with new flexis, and re-fit that one.
Find an old manifold that is not broken and do a straight swap.
Get your old manifold out, weld in new flexis and put it back in (bare in mind your car is going to be out a while and will be more expensive if you just get a garage to do it)

Expect about £250-£350 labour to get it changed, whichever route you decide to go. Goodluck.

Just spoken to my local garage and ordered the above ^ For some reason they were going to charge me more just to fix the flexi pipes where as ordering this and getting it fitted works out cheaper... some how? :S

The standard manifold has a pre-cat on it, which that one doesn't, which is why its decat. The decat pipe is to remove the main cat, with both of them gone it will fail MOT.

You can change the flexi pipes, you have to cut the old ones out and weld new ones in.

I don't know much about that manifold you've linked. With the toyosports one (which is on eBay at 239,) its best to change the lower engine mounts as it knocks on the subframe, and also some people grind/bend the subframe away from it, but again I'm not sure the one you've bought is the same.

Last edited:
Ive purchased the one in the link above and the car is all booked in now... expensive bloody job but needs to be done i guess!

U brought the car like 3months ago!? U shld have a 6 month warranty/guarantee with it when u brought it..?

Yeah, purchased it from Ford a couple months back.. Have no idea if i'm covered? I would have thought they'd make up some crap because i've got a cat back exhaust they'll blame it on that or something but i'll give them a call tomorrow.

It was evans halshaw Ford, what their warranty actually covers seem to be next to nothing from what i'm looking at lol... I'll give them a call and see what i can do tomorrow but from previous experience with them it seems pretty pointless.

Yeah i have, i probably just won't bother trying.. had enough issues when buying the car with them in the first place >.< I'll just get it fixed myself and hope nothing else goes wrong any time soon :tongueout: