flood damage!

So I may have driven through a bit of a flood this weekend. Got through it OK carried on with out any problems but then this morning out of the blue on my daily commute the engine died.
Cars been towed to my local dealer. First report showed low comp on three of the cylinders. Possible bent con rods (bugger) might just be the head gasket (if i'm incredibly lucky, which I'm not) I've told them to investigate further head off n all that jazz to asses the full damage. I'm currently prepared for a potentially massive bill but what dose every one think is the best course of action? If the bottom end needs a rebuild is there any worth while power mods to be made? Cost of OEM con rods n pistons over after market or even forged? Personally I don't see the point forged unless I plan on going for big power but the ktr forged kit is actually cheaper than OEM.

On the plus side my r27 with only 27k was due its 5 year cam belt change any way so I should be able to save a few Bob there :headphone: and I've haggled the dealer down to £50 an hour labour from there usual £75.

If I do need an engine rebuild or at least bottom end can any one recommend a reputable tuner in the notts area?

Cheers all :thumbsup:

you might only need a set of rods.....

head off - sump off - pistons/rods out - swap - rebuild

if uprated rods are cheaper than oe then fit them - so at a later date you can go with hotter cams and sustain a higher rev limit without worry!

Ooooooo, don't sound good! Did this in works car! Needed a new engine! :worried: can safely say, I avoid every single puddle I can now!

Theres a guy in Long Eaton, down where Just Novas and Corsas used to be, guys a renault guru, ill try and get you some more details though!

Fingers crossed its not too difficult to sort!

Ooooooo, don't sound good! Did this in works car! Needed a new engine! :worried: can safely say, I avoid every single puddle I can now!

Lol I did this too, proper shagged the works van engine. Best part was LOADS of people had done the same, there was already an AA guy there so I blagged him to give me a hand, we took out the airfilter and he gave me a jump start, and drove it home. Sounded like a proper tractor :smiley:.

I also avoid puddles now :001_unsure:

Lol I did this too, proper shagged the works van engine. Best part was LOADS of people had done the same, there was already an AA guy there so I blagged him to give me a hand, we took out the airfilter and he gave me a jump start, and drove it home. Sounded like a proper tractor :smiley:.

I also avoid puddles now :001_unsure:

I did rewin the engine! Hydraulic locked it and bent all con rods and smashed bearings etc! Wasn't 100% my fault though as a big jeep came flying through the other way as I was already going through! But as you agreed,I avoid every single puddle that looks dangerous! Would never do it again! Been an apprentice, I thought it was :foxspeed: bye bye! Aha!

I did rewin the engine! Hydraulic locked it and bent all con rods and smashed bearings etc! Wasn't 100% my fault though as a big jeep came flying through the other way as I was already going through! But as you agreed,I avoid every single puddle that looks dangerous! Would never do it again! Been an apprentice, I thought it was :foxspeed: bye bye! Aha!

Mine was 100% my fault, too fast through it + I was riding the kirb to keep the airbox lifted but then dropped off it half way through... dunk...splash...chug....f**k. :'(

FYI if your engine does stall due to water, you mustn't try and start it as you will massively increase your chances of hydrolock!

...I cringe when I see people plowing through floods, thinking that they are having some fun....even if it's only an inch deep I would generally go the otherway....or crawl through in the midlle of the road so as to stop the landrovers from forcing a bow wave into the engine bay...

I don't go through deep water. You can't see what is underneath it, if a man hole cover has lifted, it's not just the water you need to worry about!

Unfortunately I didn't have an option to avoid the flood. Came off a duel carriage way slip road to find a huge flood. Couldn't really go back as entering a duel carriage way the wrong way along the off ramp would have been dangerous to say the least. I had only one option, forward. I entered carefully at a pace slightly quicker than tick over in first and kept that pace to maintain exhaust flow as I didn't want water backing up. It got pretty deep though the bow wake was up over the bonnet but once you've started you have to push on. I got through OK tbh. Drove off no probs and drove for the rest of Saturday and Sunday prob covered 80-90 miles with no issues then Sunday late arvo the car just stopped?

Report to day from the Renault dealer says the piston rings need replacing, all associated gaskets seals cam/aux belt tensioners etc at a cost of about 1700 notes.

I'll get a propper brake down of cost tomorrow n see if I can do some negotiating with cost or get parts cheaper els where. Fingers crossed I can get it down to 1400, just massively begrudge paying out a large sum of money knowing it will just be to put the car back as it was. Performance gains are always preferred.

Theres a trader on here doing conversions, you supply engine, gearbox etc ( he will list the parts) and he will fit it for £1500.

...just a maybe....but if the flood was so deep you had a bow wave over the bonnet, the slip road should have been closed to traffic....as you say, once on it you couldn't realy go against traffic to get back to the dual carriageway.....its worth trying to claim against the Highway Authority/Highways Agency on this as it is their responsibility to close an unsafe highway/slip road...