front shock removal question

Scalino65

Paid Member
Hi. Just a quick request for some clarification! I have a broken front spring and so I am trying to get the shock tower off the car. I've undone the two drop links from the tower and removed the pinch bolt in the hub. I've now bashed the hub to get the wishbone as low as it will go in order to get the shock tower free of its seating in the hub. The problem is that the shock tower is still about an inch inside its seating in the hub.
My question is, will i get the shock tower out without compressing the springs? I've read contradicting things on here. Would compressing the springs give me the extra inch or so movement in the shock tower housing in the hub in order to get it clear? I think i've got as much downward movement in the wishbone that I'm going to get and dont want to risk bending it.
Many thanks
Will

I’m pretty certain it can’t be done without, unless you’re removing the hub - which is how I prefer doing the job.
Obviously more stuff to undo though

As said above the way most people do is take whole hub off.
I've read people have managed by compressing spring to get it off, worth trying if you're already in that position?
You'll need the spring compressors to get the top mount off (I assume you're changing spring and/or damper?)

Hi. Many thanks chaps. I'm just waiting for a set of spring compressors to be delivered along with the new springs I'll see if I can manage that way. I should be able to compress the spring by about the necessary 2" which should enable me to get the strut out of the hub. I'd rather not take the whole hub off if I can avoid it.
I was originally changing the front radiator support when I noticed the broken spring. I've also used bilt hamber wax to cover up all the exposed metal and squirt in between the sill covers,etc. 'er indoors has taken the appearance of the front bumper in the living room surprisingly well! I was also really pleased at how well the arch liners have protected the metalwork. Much better than on my 172. Now i've covered everything in wax it looks like some sort of "dirty protest"....:smile:

Reactions: suj and RSRowe
You’ll definitely be able to do it with compressors, as I’ve done it that way myself.
Just a little fiddly holding everything

At least the spring will be stopped by the top mount even if it did ping out (spring compressors are scary, I've seen someone lose 2 fingers, since then I am so weary round them lol).

Yeah with the spring compressed, it should be enough to get them out, good luck

This is an interesting topic, one of which ive been trying to research myself for some time as I am going to have to replace the front shocks at some point due to an advisory.

Ive also read on here and seen the pictures to confirm that by compressing the spring enables you to be able to remove the bolt and remove the strut from the hub carrier, it also suggests this is all thats required from reading the repair manual as well.

I dont understand why you would want to remove the hub carrier when all you want to remove is the front struts, please enlighten us for any one who has carried this out for other reasons.

If you could post your updates / progress Id really be interested to read up on this, and good luck!

So taking the whole hub out isn't that bad, as there isn't any alignment done off the type of setup the Clio has (whereas some other cars have camber set off the hub etc).

Also it's cramped for spring compressors, it's hit and miss if you can get it out, some have, some haven't.
So most people just take off the hub, I sure did when I refreshed my dampers, springs and top mounts.

Im going to attempt the removal by compressing the spring first off as this seems like the safest option to me, Im not that confident of removing the hub carrier incase of pulling the drive shafts out, Ive seen a YouTube video demonstrating this, and laughing aside id be devastated.

Its a job Im having to wait on for now due to cost, but at least its giving me time to read up on the job and deciding on which set up to go for, coil overs is out of budget and Ive already got the cup struts from off RPD and just which springs to go for now, although Im favouring the Eibach pro street springs? and knowing where to order from as prices seem to range depending on which sites you visit.

I'm running non-cup dampers and Eibach springs, it's a more subtle drop compared to H&R springs, but rides soooo much better!

It’s just preference. I’ve done this job numerous times, and I prefer to remove the lot.
As I said above, you don’t have to. It’s just a bit fiddly - especially with how tight the struts can corrode into the carrier.

With the nature of use of my car, it’s generally apart quite often, so stuff comes undone without too much trouble. However, I can understand people not wanting to undo anything they don’t have to.

Reactions: suj
First of all I hope you dont mind me jumping on your thread Scalino65 but this is of interest to me and its really good to get your opinions on this.

I have seen another thread of who runs what suspension set up on here but coil overs are out of my budget, I am in favour of the Eibach springs running on cup struts, Im going to do the lot including the top mounts. Thankfully the struts dont look to be to corroded so im hoping with a clean up before hand and some WD-40 and some patience and Ill get there.

Im planning on cleaning the brakes and stripping then back first though as Ive got some Brembo Red caliper paint (arrived today), so Ill set up a new thread when I get the opportunity to do it, but Im going to research some of the how to threads on here first, so look out for some before and after photos with that as well.

Hi again, Well I've got the strut out using a spring compressor - i had to cut the compressors down in order to get access. Now I'm trying to remove the top mount from the strut. Can anyone tell me how to do that please? I am using a 18mmspanner to grab the nut and a 6mm allen socket to hold the inner nut. I've loosened it a lot but its still about 3 threads from coming off. Is there a knack to this? Would putting the spring under more compression help or do i want to loosen the compressors so that the spring is pushing more on the top mount? Any help very gratefully received!

well i cant get the f-ing top mount off of the strut...I think i'm going to have to bite the bullet and buy a new strut and top mount...annoying!

No, its not rounded off (yet..) I dont have an impact gun, just trying with spanners. I think the nut was a nyloc which seems to be enjoying its job! I just cant get enough leverage on the two spanners. might wizz it down to the garage and ask them to undo it.

A pair of grips on the body of the shock (right at the top) and then undo the nut with a socket.
You’re not really meant to hold there, but it sounds like you have no other options right now.

You mean on the shaft of the damper itself? i.e. the bit covered by the gaitor? Many thanks for your help with this:smile:

Yeah, pull the gator down and hold it there.
Just be aware that you might scratch the surface and that can cause oil to leak from the shock. You’ll rarely get that much compression though tbh.

well, i tried it but i've rounded off the allen socket so i guess its new struts time....bugger. many thanks for your help though! Doubly annoying as RPD delivered the new springs today. They are very quick at deliveries so i guess i'll be doing battle with it in a few days time.