G3 Paint Protection

When purchasing my GW 200 my car was treated with G3 paint protection for free, bodywork, wheels and interior. Having been treated I was told by the dealer that I should only use shampoo to clean the car or risk removing the paint protection. I did so last week and it did look very clean considering it only had a rinse.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this and how long does it realistically last on the car, G3 say 5 years. Is it worth sticking to the cleaning guidelines or just claying, washing, waxing etc it myself to protect it?

Thanks

Should still be able to wax it as that's just adding extra protection.

Don't see how claying would harm it either,only removing contaminants after all.

From what I have read and heard. The type of protection product they use isn't that great in the first place. It certainly doesn't last for 5 years.

I would wash and protect it using products that have been tested and are reliable.

Sealants:
Af touch coat
Gtechnic
Wolf's hard body
Warksat

I had it on mine, cars just turned 12 months old. It's non existent. I've done a wax etc myself now

I think you pay for the 5 year guarantee more than the product on your car. The salesman was pushing this on me at the weekend and all I could think was the swirls in the paint need sorting before you go anywhere near it

My experience of GTech products is not good and I think this nano technology is just hype. I did the plastic trims on 3 of my cars with GT product, it looked nice for about 3 weeks then started to go milky and looked a right mess. I followed their application video to the letter too. I also did my glass with their rain treatment, again following the instuctions exactly, it made some wild claim about lasting 3 years or similar, it was great for about a month and already its not dispersing rain.

Expensive hype and certainly not on my shopping list again

Exactly! I just stick to my Autoglym bag now and rainX wipes.

My experience of GTech products is not good and I think this nano technology is just hype. I did the plastic trims on 3 of my cars with GT product, it looked nice for about 3 weeks then started to go milky and looked a right mess. I followed their application video to the letter too. I also did my glass with their rain treatment, again following the instuctions exactly, it made some wild claim about lasting 3 years or similar, it was great for about a month and already its not dispersing rain.

Expensive hype and certainly not on my shopping list again

G3 paint protection as offered by Renault is not G/Techniq or any their products. Yes G/techniq do (or used to do a product called G3) but it was specifically for glass. I've used several of G/techniqs products and while they don't last as long as claimed by some I've seen a good 9 months from G1 on my glass and the G5 is still going strong on my rims 6 months after application.

Anyway back to the original question G3 products are OK though your never ever going to get 5 years out of it no matter what you do. These things are applied very quickly and never given the proper prep so you be doing well to get 6-9 months out of it.

Thanks Paddy, my mistake. I stand by my scepticism of Gtech products though solely based on my experience though

G3 Glasscoat is very good if applied correctly, ive had it on a Bentley for well over 2 years and the same can be said for my van but almost 3 on a VXR Corsa which i maintain every month, the issue is really the numptys that apply it, if they dont care they will just slap it on, no prep.

You can wash it with whatever you want, clay is a must after so long to remove embedded contaminates but what i will say about it is its scratch resistance isnt all that, wash marring will start to appear in a matter of months, the comment about removing the protection is utter tosh mate unless they applied it incorrectly, I regularly clay and wax or seal on top of the van and the VXR and the G3 Glasscoat is still there.

HTH

Thanks Paddy, my mistake. I stand by my scepticism of Gtech products though solely based on my experience though

Hi, We've had Gtechnic applied to my wife's black 3-series from new and and a year and a half on, it appears to be still doing it's job. I think the 5-year guarantee really applies to the main bodywork rather than the glass/interior etc. My life is made twice as easy when cleaning (compared to my Porsche which is waxed). I am overall pleased with the quality of the product.

The windscreen will need re-applying realistically every year or so as you do have to use wipers still (speed dependent). Side windows will last longer though.

Just my 2c.