Gearbox/Clutch question

Hi Guys,

I'm the new owner of a Clio 197, with 74k miles on the clock.

Generally i couldn't be more happy with the car and after searching about 3/4 cars it was definitely the best one i could find. So now to my question, there's no history of work on the clutch or gearbox.

The gearbox however seems flush, smooth changes up and down changes in every gear, No audible crunching like mentioned by some people so i'm wondering if this has been done at some point but the history's lacking.

My main concern is the clutch, the biting point seems really high and in first gear i tend to have to feed a bit of throttle before finding the biting point, is that normal? I.e. the clutch wouldn't be able to hold the car on a hill.

Problem is my only experience is a lot of brand new diesel hire cars with work which you can tend to get moving with the clutch, should a car like this be the same? And my previous car was pusing 100k miles on the original clutch so it was a bit warped and i can't really use it as a benchmark.

Is it worth getting it looked at? Should i be thinking about buying a new clutch?

Now i realise there's a million variables to this and it's really hard to diagnose over the internet but just wondering if someone could give me some direction.

Cheers :smile:

Well, gearbox is all about luck some reliable some worse( it can get 100k miles and feel great and didnt have any work on it )
Two
Clutch sounds ok,when car is cold the first gear realy feel like it need help with throttle .
i also heard all clios has high point and if to take it to someone to look at it ? Up to you,but i definitely would not change it before it slip/fail . at all it sounds like your clutch&gearbox are runing great and in harmony
Good luck
And always keep in mind ,drive it gentle at all its a gentle gearbox .

Last edited:
I think it's the characteristics of the car, my clutch feels heavy compared to other cars ive driven and it still feels the same a year later. Also my gearbox can be a b***tard to get into 1st from cold, but I start the car in the morning with clutch down and slides in 1st lovely. But touch wood no problems with crunching and no record of it being replaced, I think it's just the luck of the draw like legend said.

It wouldn't be good to strain the engine by trying to get the car going with the engine just in idle, like 20 mph in 6th. The engine would struggle to accelerate. These clios have no torque at low revs at all.

Thanks for the replies guys, think i was just being a bit overly paranoid with it being a new car. Had a proper drive at the weekend and all is well.

A little resistance sometimes when going into 4th but not an audible crunch so i'm thinking all's good :smile:

Thank god for this post. I nipped down the road to pick up the gf from the station last night and wondered why I was having to give it some revs to hill start in 1st! Paranoia set in last night but it would have been running fairly cold. It's only done 40,000 miles!

Just relax about it all.

No need to go picking points about your car. All cars are different so biting points are going to change. I suppose you could go ahead and replace it, but what if it appears as if your clutch had plenty of meat on it anyway? I'd let this one slide until your clutch actually starts slipping.

Glad you like the car! !