Glad I have warranty! Gearbox

Took my car in to renault today because it made a strange noise when you turn right at around 3000 RPM.
They just thought it was the heat shielding around the exhaust. They were wrong!
According to them, the gearbox is on its way out and they also found that one of the shocks was leaking!
So glad that I bought the car through a dealer and not privately, which I was planing to do before!

Sam

Last edited:
That's mad! I've literrally just picked my 200 up from the dealers after having its 3rd gear syncro changed :worried: too much a common problem!

I thought all the 200s would still be in warranty until later this year?

Warranty

I just had to take mine to the dealer too yesterday . My steering wheel is making a ratchet noise which the mechanic said he had never heard before also got an oil leak around the plugs which they fixed 5 months ago under warranty plus the guy at Renault said you don't get a garantee with warranty work also there's a scrapping noise coming from the timing belt area which they said sounds like a tensioner. Lucky for me I have extended warranty till end of sept and was due for a timing belt change, Renault said they will change the belt and said they would do me a deal on the aux belt and water pump if I wanted them changed at the same time £400.

Took my car in to renault today because it made a strange noise when you turn right at around 3000 RPM.
They just thought it was the heat shielding around the exhaust. They were wrong!
According to them, the gearbox is on its way out and they also found that one of the shocks was leaking!
So glad that I bought the car through a dealer and not privately, which I was planing to do before!

Sam

Alright mate.. I work for the garage and i was the one looking at it :smile: they give me most of the 200's as i have 1 lol.. Took me awhile to find where your noise was coming from though lol.. I was just giving it a look over and found the N/S shock leaking aswell

I went into my local yesterday too for a leaking rear damper, i have to go back on the 25th.

Alright mate.. I work for the garage and i was the one looking at it :smile: they give me most of the 200's as i have 1 lol.. Took me awhile to find where your noise was coming from though lol.. I was just giving it a look over and found the N/S shock leaking aswell

Ah nice one mate! What exactly was wrong with the gearbox?

Ah nice one mate! What exactly was wrong with the gearbox?

Hard to explain really! Its not the typical noise we get from them, normally the synchro's **** up lol.. But with yours its more related to the Dif area.. Obv after corning it stabilises and during that process your noise appears, sometimes its really bad.. It does do it when going along aswell but its not as noisy and noticable.

Hard to explain really! Its not the typical noise we get from them, normally the synchro's **** up lol.. But with yours its more related to the Dif area.. Obv after corning it stabilises and during that process your noise appears, sometimes its really bad.. It does do it when going along aswell but its not as noisy and noticable.

I'm really interested to know what exactly is the syncro problem? Can you enlighten us all? Is it just premeature wear or poor build quality? Design fault? And... When replacing them are Renault using a new designed part or just the same syncros again.?

I'm really interested to know what exactly is the syncro problem? Can you enlighten us all? Is it just premeature wear or poor build quality? Design fault? And... When replacing them are Renault using a new designed part or just the same syncros again.?

I know as much as you i am afraid, Renault dont tell us anything.. We tell them whats wrong and we just get told what to do lol.. I would assume its just premature wear of the synchro and they have modified them (i would hope) Mine had a synchro problem about 10k ago, been fine since

Wow! My dad has only just picked the car up today! (as i am in shagalluf :wink:)
As well as the original things that were wrong with the car, it also had a blown manifold flexi caused by a split engine mount!
Cant wait to get back in the car!