Got a NIP for doing 41 in a 30 zone

Thought it was a red light camera, but turns out to be a speed cam instead....it clocks me doing 41 in a 30 zone

Caught on Newport Road in Cardiff, which is a rather famous camera because of its efficiency.

Before I give them a reply, is there anything I should do?

Am I likely to get driving improvement course instead?

Cheers guys

I'm not too sure how it works with you guys compared to us, but if it where here you'd get a choice.. Take the 3 points and fine or else speedline awareness course.

Be surprised if you get the choice of a speed awareness course at 11mph over but if you do I'd take it. That way your insurance isn't affected. I did a course in January and actually quite enjoyed it but have heard it depends on who's running the course. I di mine in Cumbria and the tone was relaxed and it was fun but s mate who did one in Sussex said it felt like doing detention after school & they made him feel like a really bad person. He said be contrite & you'll be fine. I didn't get that feeling at all at mine. Better the course than points. It's not an option you get if you're caught here in Scotland so I'm glad it was in England where they got me.

You'll be too far over as far as I recall. But seeing as it's first time you might get lucky..

Some insurers now consider the attendance of a speed awareness course a material fact, and thus enquire as to your attendance of such a course at inception. This will likely effect your premium, but how it compares to a conviction I'm not sure.

First you should ask that they supply you with their evidence, and if the camera is so notorious, I'd do some research regarding it, and if many people have successfully fought a conviction, and on what basis.

http://www.cii.co.uk/media/4048082/..._courses_-_the_implications_for_insurance.pdf

Think it's gone up to £100 for 3 points now for a minor speeding offence.

I've read reports from the AA that Admiral were increasing premiums for attendance of a speed awareness course but don't know how this compares to taking the points.

I heard that you don't have an obligation to declare attendance of a speed awareness course to insurance companies even if they ask as there is no way of them checking but would be interested if someone knew more on this.

Screen%20Shot%202014-12-17%20at%2010_05_13(1).png

PMSL. I know at least 3 people that have got points from that one, most doing 34mph.
Was the biggest grossing camera in the uk/wales....

PMSL. I know at least 3 people that have got points from that one, most doing 34mph.
Was the biggest grossing camera in the uk/wales....

That's crazy....3 points for 4mph over.

That's a really tricky place coz it's placed at traffic lights, when it turns u either stamp on the brakes till the car at the back hit you or floor it so u won't get caught jumping a red.
Its not unavoidable, but the number of people got caught indicates something ain't right there.

And I used to lived on Cardiff and always have an impression that it's a 40 road, but this is the first time back to same place in 4years, obviously didn't notice there's a cam in there and there isn't much road signs. Yes it's a lit road, so should be 30. Not trying to deny speeding in there, but some 30 signs would really help.

See here:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local-news/speed-camera-catches-13624-drivers-7863318

I've had the cruise control on at 28mph through there loads of times and had an angry bloke go speeding past. Points mean prizes and all that.

it saids it the article....

“At the course I got talking to number of similar offenders. Virtually everybody at the course had been caught at the same traffic lights,” he said.

Milking motorist faster than printing banknotes.

bummer sounds like its the usual cashing in on the motrorist..shame they cant catch robbers and thiefs as easy!

as for the road - street lighting and no signs = 30mph - if its higher it will be signed

I've got a speeding ticket due. I reckon I was doing no more than 74 I'm a 70 but I'm waiting on it.

Tight *******s. I was going down hill as well.