Had a play with an e46 M3 earlier

Before I begin, of course we stuck to speed limits where appropriate.........
On my way home from work earlier I overtook a car on a fast stretch and then noticed an e46 bmw quickly appear in my mirror (didn't realise it was an M3 until later) anyway drove the car as intended over the next 3 or so miles home, I was considerably quicker on the bends but the bmw driver did catch up on the straights, I had no idea it was an M3 until its driver overtook me on a steep downhill section with a sharp right before a narrow stone bridge at the bottom, I bottled it and he overtook and almost lost control as he clearly left braking a little late. Was very surprised when I saw the M3 badges, I know the clio is quick, I have had plenty of quick cars previously including imprezas and Evo's but I am surprised it did so well against an e46 m3. Still amazes me after every drive

M3 would leave a Clio for dust. Loads of things to take into consideration while 'racing' on the road.

M3 driver could be rubbish, crap tyres, a ruined M3, driver didn't know the road etc. list goes on.

Just take it with a pinch of salt. The M3 is a 340hp car, weights a fair bit, but, big hp none the less, and they're not know for being sloppy in the bends either.

Was just having a look at some of the posted lap times on the net, different tracks will suit the cars better though so again it's not always comparable

I haven't driven an M3, can anyone comment on the brakes because that seemed to be the main disadvantage and nearly cost him dearly

I haven't driven an M3, can anyone comment on the brakes because that seemed to be the main disadvantage and nearly cost him dearly

Breaks are fine as far as I know. They weren't a 50K car new for no reason.

M3 would leave a Clio for dust. Loads of things to take into consideration while 'racing' on the road.

M3 driver could be rubbish, crap tyres, a ruined M3, driver didn't know the road etc. list goes on.

Just take it with a pinch of salt. The M3 is a 340hp car, weights a fair bit, but, big hp none the less, and they're not know for being sloppy in the bends either.

Agree. The only other car I'd consider after the Clio for less than 10 grand. Absolute bargain.....

Yeah and I was considering a 996 or an e46 m3 before I bought the clio, trouble is 10k will buy it but you can easily rack up some big bills on repairs and maintenance

I agree that the maintenance/running of a car is proportional to its list price and not to the depreciated one. The M3 was a 50k car so running it requires deep pockets. Petrol, tyres, insurance are sky high, and we assume that nothing will go wrong...something that we all know is not going to be the case on a 10 (more or less) year old car!

Also the car comes underbraked from the factory like every single M3 (or maybe every M car) out there. Those brakes can't handle its speed and weight...

But a great car overall (obviously!)

M3 is a great car its actually scary quick when it gets going but the handling isnt great thats why i got rid of mine you just couldnt throw it about and to be honest my r26 was quicker until over 130 but at that point the m3 was just getting going and just destroyed the megane

Even on the E90s it's still just an (admittedly rather big) single piston caliper, they're probably heavily assisted which is why they feel pretty good but wouldn't last long on track pulling up the weight of itself. Fine if you're just on the road but complete polar opposite to the Clio which is under engined and over braked, the Bummer is over engined and under braked still.

last time i played with a e46 m3 cabbie in my 197 i left it for dust, they aint that quick.

I have driven an E46 M3, one that was in good condition, and a standard 197 would get slaughtered in the straights. The brakes are also every bit as good as the Clio's (I owned a CTR at the time and the M3 could easily out brake that). Personally I found the steering far too light and it didn't inspire confidence in the corners the way the Clio does. That would be my 2 pence worth on why he couldn't keep up with you on the bends.