Head gone

That sounds like top end of engine, first thoughts were little end bearings but if you say the noise has gone on its own i have to say it was a sticking tappet.

My own thoughts and worries on this is the oil.

Mine has the recomended oil in it and to me it looks too thin but if this is what renault recomend then it should be up to the job.

When i check my oil i have to really get up close to the dip stick to see how much is in there, it's like water.

just because its like "water" doesnt mean it wont lubricate the engine....modern engines are designed for "thin" oils that reduce drag on internal components and flow better at cold temperatures

I put 5.2 litres in to her when I did the oil last Saturday and check and topped up to maximum slowly to ensure it was full. I then poured the oil that came out in to the existing bottles and got just over 5.2 litres and checked for any foreign debris in the oil which there was none thankfully (was only 6k mile old the oil as I change it in between services)

If there is a sticking tappet can I do anything? Fox if its any of those can I do anything? I will wait and see when it happens again and sort it out or if I can get a week or so off work I'll leave it at the garage..

you can get "flushing additives" that help to remove tarnish/gum/carbon that could cause sticking lifters...

does it only do it when cold? could be "piston slap"!!!!

Its only happened twice and I had been driving for 30 minutes or so before hand.. I thought I read somewhere that the flushing additives can fook some part of the VVT on the Clio engine but as always I may be wrong! Also note that the noise does not happen every time!