Headlight swap over to xenons. Motor removal.

chris1888-197

Paid Member
I have recently purchased a set of xenon headlights for my 197 . I will be swapping them over this weekend. when removing the leveling adjuster is it a 1/4 of a turn to remove ? Not sure if the motors are different on both headlights. Circled pic below of motor. Any info appreciated. Thanks Screenshot_20220211-115124_Samsung capture.jpg

Xenon headlights have active motors attached to the ride height sensors on the front and rear axle constantly adjusting the headlight to stop blinding other road users. A standard motor will fit but be careful removing there is a tab that stops the quarter turn tip. To remove the ball head from the reflector assembly leg slot do not pull or push or you will break the adjuster leg off the reflector assembly. The xenon motor plug points backwards that is a normal motor in the picture and is a non-xenon headlight if that’s what you have bought.

Do your new headlights not have the motors?
I’d leave them in personally. They’re the same plug and work with the normal toggle switch in the car

Reactions: chris1888-197
Xenon headlights have active motors attached to the ride height sensors on the front and rear axle constantly adjusting the headlight to stop blinding other road users. A standard motor will fit but be careful removing there is a tab that stops the quarter turn tip. To remove the ball head from the reflector assembly leg slot do not pull or push or you will break the adjuster leg off the reflector assembly. The xenon motor plug points backwards that is a normal motor in the picture and is a non-xenon headlight if that’s what you have bought.

As Turkie said
They don't look like Xenon's, they look like projectors, Xenon's have a square back cover, not round (also in your pic that slide in slot has a xenon unit in it).

Projectors are plug and play in reflector headlights (just your cornering lights won't work...but they're kinda crap anyways lol).

Thanks for reply. That isn't my actual lights just a screenshot. The inside of the light has detached from the motor on the xenons I have so will just need to remove the motor and place it back on the ball holder and refit if its the same motor. The ones are purchased are def xenons they have the xenon unit and igniter on them. I haven't removed one before was just curious if I just a 1/4 turn to remove the motor. Thanks

Reactions: suj
Thanks @ turkie172 thats exactly what I am looking for . The ball joint just needs refitted the clips are all intact .. much appreciated.

If the adjuster motor connectors point downwards then they are the same as what you have go ahead but if it's xenon motors they point towards the windscreen dont use them they might be some sort of canbus driven.
1644623236035.png
1644623408816.png

Reactions: chris1888-197
I got round to swapping the headlights over at the weekend. Was actually not that bad. The loom didn't need any modification apart from swapping the headlight adjuster over from the halogen to the xenons. Makes the car look alot better front end in my opinion. Screenshot_20220226-131145_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220226-131203_Gallery.jpg20220226_125439.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220226-131217_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220226-131217_Gallery.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Reactions: suj
Good work, the standard reflectors look so crap (I went from reflectors to Projectors)
I'm confused though, are they definitely Xenons? As you need washer jets to legally have Xenons don't you?
So have you got all the ballast etc for the Xenons?

Last edited:
Good work, the standard reflectors look so crap (I went from reflectors to Projectors)
I'm confused though, are they definitely Xenons? As you need washer jets to legally have Xenons don't you?
So have you got all the ballast etc for the Xenons?
They are 100% xenons . They have the ballasts fitted. They came of another 197 that had xenons fitted from factory. They are the same as 172 no mods req to the loom just plug and play. You should have washer jets for a car with xenons fitted from factory.

They are 100% xenons . They have the ballasts fitted. They came of another 197 that had xenons fitted from factory. They are the same as 172 no mods req to the loom just plug and play. You should have washer jets for a car with xenons fitted from factory.

Yeah I know they're plug and play, it's the fact you should have washers, I guess you got an MOT man who is friendly, let's hope you don't get caught with them.
My projectors with LED bulbs for H1 are spot on, why I went for then over the Xenon's, as I can't be arsed with the legal shite of Xenon's.

Yeah I know they're plug and play, it's the fact you should have washers, I guess you got an MOT man who is friendly, let's hope you don't get caught with them.
My projectors with LED bulbs for H1 are spot on, why I went for then over the Xenon's, as I can't be arsed with the legal shite of Xenon's.
How did you get the LEDs to align properly in the socket? The fan end it too big to get the clip to secure it properly im place in mine - so they look like fog lights for me :-(