Helmet for Track Days

Benno

Malmesbury 'Chode of the Year' 2019
Paid Member
As most of you know I'm losing my track virginity next week at Bedford, got a free day tomorrow so will be hunting around for a helmet.

Any shops to head to for a good deal and good customer service? Want to try things on and get a feel so I get the right one for me.

On the flip side, any shops/brands to avoid?

I could have a field day with this post.

Im not going though and let some helmet experts advise you on best choosing helmet styles and hardness.

Im going to be the bigger man and leave it there.

This dawned on me rather quickly after I posted it........

Reactions: Chris
just any decent one will do..wouldnt be spending too much on this..

you will see the piece of **** im using next week..but hey ho..it's sufficient!

Reactions: Benno
Going for the Sparco Club X1 I think! Just got to find somewhere to try one on!

Got a local karting track that I'm starting to go to a bit more so just thinking about killing two birds with one stone! Might change my mind, just depends what happens on my trip tomorrow..

Reactions: Chris
just any decent one will do..wouldnt be spending too much on this..

you will see the piece of **** im using next week..but hey ho..it's sufficient!

Not quite so important (possibly) in a car compared to a bike, but when an ACU Gold standard or EC205 standard helmet can be had for as little as £40 I can’t believe anyone feels comfortable wearing presumably their sole piece of safety equipment that they’d openly admit is ‘a piece of shit’....to protect their head !

I’ve have one friend who had a sub 30mph bike accident; where he was then hit from behind by his mate who was following where a cheap helmet split open; and another friend who had a fairly slow speed accident where the strap broke away from the helmet - which then meant the helmet came completely off his head. He wasn’t quite so lucky - but did survive after what turned out to be ‘just’ some nasty looking superficial head injuries.

Not preaching Pav: but it’s something you may only get one go at....and they do say:
If you’ve got a £5 head - use a £5 helmet......

Sparco looks a great lid @Benno996 - take some advice on ‘fit’ when buying. That’s equally as important as quality and one compliments the other.

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Benno
yeah know what you mean lads..think i may have underestimated my helmet..it's quite decent from what i can read online..what i meant was,dont go spending hundreds..being in a car or on a bike is different..im sure a helmet on a bike has a more important role to play in protecting you from being harmed than in a car but i do get your point,which is fair ...not knocking it down..as long as it's a decent helmet you should be fine just dont go over the top...

Last edited:
Reactions: Benno

Similar Thread Suggestions