Holidays 2017 !

I don't have any holidays planned, although hopefully will be making the trip up to the Scottish Highlands again.

I'm really not a big fan of going abroad, I just find the travelling (flying) so tedious. Sorry Shuv, I've probably spoilt the whole tone of the thread by saying that :smiley:

I don't have any holidays planned, although hopefully will be making the trip up to the Scottish Highlands again.

I'm really not a big fan of going abroad, I just find the travelling (flying) so tedious. Sorry Shuv, I've probably spoilt the whole tone of the thread by saying that :smiley:

You wont spoil our enjoyment Jimmy. We love and embrace everything about our trips away - even the airports and travelling. Its part of the experience for us.

Obviously your mileage differs !

You wont spoil our enjoyment Jimmy. We love and embrace everything about our trips away - even the airports and travelling. Its part of the experience for us.

Obviously your mileage differs !

Yeah fair play, I'm certainly not knocking those that do like going abroad - as you say, all part of the experience :smile: just drives me mad with all the waiting :smiley: it never seems worth it to me! Maybe I am just a boring :censored: though :wink:

Reactions: Beany
One year we decided we would stay in the UK for our holidays. First week the Orkney Isles at the far north of Scotland and the second week in Yorkshire. I done all the driving and loved every minute of it, sometimes you don't appreciate what's on your own doorstep.

Been to few nice places around the world but always end up back in Maspalomas in Gran Canaria, suits our needs. Usually do a couple of the Scottish islands on the bike too.
Naked camel riding?

Dont have any holiday plans but hoping to get something planned or a weekend away in this country atleast!

One year we decided we would stay in the UK for our holidays. First week the Orkney Isles at the far north of Scotland and the second week in Yorkshire. I done all the driving and loved every minute of it, sometimes you don't appreciate what's on your own doorstep.

Exactly my thoughts! I loved Scotland when I went up there this year, the scenery is just amazing! I'd sooner go somewhere with mountains and forests, rather than a beach and bars/clubs etc.

We were lucky to have great weather in Scotland too, which you're never guaranteed in the UK, but it's not always that bad.

Exactly my thoughts! I loved Scotland when I went up there this year, the scenery is just amazing! I'd sooner go somewhere with mountains and forests, rather than a beach and bars/clubs etc.

We were lucky to have great weather in Scotland too, which you're never guaranteed in the UK, but it's not always that bad.
I'm lucky mate I'm an hour away from Loch Lomond and some cracking scenery and driving roads. You guys need to drive from Stirling to Inveraray via Crianlarich and back down to Loch Lomond. Often do this run on the bike great roads (if you know what I mean).:innocent::wink:

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Jimmy
Hopefully we'll get up to Scotland again next year, the roads and scenery are immense! You're lucky to live up there! Ha, definitely know what you mean :wink:

There are some great roads in the Yorkshire Dales, which I love, and there's some nice places to stay too. Don't even have to leave the county to go on holiday :smiley:

Reactions: LOCKE

I agree - There's so much more to the World than a beachfront bar in Ibiza Jimmy !! (Some of Ibiza is stunning actually).

I was very fortunate with my golf in the paid ranks; and travelled to Spain, Portugal Italy, Croatia, Arizona, France, Florida, Turkey and others. Not to mention numerous trips to Ireland, Wales and Scotland both for fun and "work".

Golf courses - not generally being build in the big cities - often provide you with a chance to see some beautiful parts of the World and i could show you some amazing photos of places i've visited on the back of playing golf alone.

My wife loves to sit by the pool / on the beach and relax on hols. And why not - she works hard the rest of the year. But thats not entirely my style; so in recent years (Often alone) iv'e always done at least a couple of trips to take in some local scenery / culture / sights whether that be to a monastery, a Turkish Delight production plant, an ancient Castle, a Vineyard, an amazing Chapel or a day-trip to Gibraltar. (All of these are real examples ).

I've have no issues at with anyone sitting on a beach at their all-inclusive resort and enjoying the spoils of their labour - and REALLY relaxing for two week in a year. But - please dont do this; come back to the UK and say "I hated Spain / Portugal / Turkey etc"..........because you disliked one of the waiters, the chips were cold and there was a cock-roach in your bathroom.

Thats not what "World Travel" is about...........

Reactions: Johnny 99 and Jimmy
Great post @sevenfourate ! I'm the same in that if I do go abroad, I like to visit the part of the country I'm in, see what it has to offer.

Last great holiday abroad I had was to Sorrento/Amalfi coast in Italy. We spent every day visiting, getting the local buses and trains to travel around a bit. This was despite the nice hotel and the pool etc. Neither of us could speak Italian, but we learnt a little bit and we got by each day. To me, that's what travel is all about - exploring the country you go to and trying to learn a bit about it/learn the basics of the language, even if it is just how to buy a bus ticket, or to ask when the next train is due. Beautiful part of the world and I would love to go back.

As you say Shuv, that's not a knock against those who do prefer to lounge round the pool/on the beach, it's about what a personal holiday means to that individual. It is a very British thing though, to go abroad and expect the locals to speak fluent English, without at least giving it a go to speak the local lingo.

Still a ball ache flying though...:weary:

Girly wants to go Florida as well, done it with my family and its the best holiday I ever had! Love my snowboarding also though, was at Avoriaz for Snowboxx fesitval last year, heavily recommend it as a resort!

Yes Avoriaz is an amazing resort, especially with all the parks located around it and excellent ski areas and love the ski in ski out bonus...lol.

Reactions: RossWoods93
I agree - There's so much more to the World than a beachfront bar in Ibiza Jimmy !! (Some of Ibiza is stunning actually).

I was very fortunate with my golf in the paid ranks; and travelled to Spain, Portugal Italy, Croatia, Arizona, France, Florida, Turkey and others. Not to mention numerous trips to Ireland, Wales and Scotland both for fun and "work".

Golf courses - not generally being build in the big cities - often provide you with a chance to see some beautiful parts of the World and i could show you some amazing photos of places i've visited on the back of playing golf alone.

My wife loves to sit by the pool / on the beach and relax on hols. And why not - she works hard the rest of the year. But thats not entirely my style; so in recent years (Often alone) iv'e always done at least a couple of trips to take in some local scenery / culture / sights whether that be to a monastery, a Turkish Delight production plant, an ancient Castle, a Vineyard, an amazing Chapel or a day-trip to Gibraltar. (All of these are real examples ).

I've have no issues at with anyone sitting on a beach at their all-inclusive resort and enjoying the spoils of their labour - and REALLY relaxing for two week in a year. But - please dont do this; come back to the UK and say "I hated Spain / Portugal / Turkey etc"..........because you disliked one of the waiters, the chips were cold and there was a cock-roach in your bathroom.

Thats not what "World Travel" is about...........
Amen to this! I booked to go to Tunisia a few years back and anyone I told where I was going slated it even though they hadn't been before (friend of a friend had been, etc etc). Got there at night, hotel was like a palace, woke up in the morning to an unspoilt town. No Irish themed pubs, no full English breakfast etc just an honest town. Yes it is a poor country but the people are so nice and welcoming, I felt totally safe walking around even at night. Went a few trips, one to a Roman amphitheater and me and my boy went quad biking through olive groves and on to a large dried out salt lake. I love these North African countries and after being to Egypt and Tunisia, Morocco was next on the list. Then after the attack happened in Tunisia my wife was too scared to go. Such a lovely country, I was genuinely sadened for Tunisia and its people.

Reactions: Jimmy and Johnny 99
I'm lucky mate I'm an hour away from Loch Lomond and some cracking scenery and driving roads. You guys need to drive from Stirling to Inveraray via Crianlarich and back down to Loch Lomond. Often do this run on the bike great roads (if you know what I mean).:innocent::wink:

Rode up & did this on my bike when I was living down south. Now I'm in Scotland I get to do it more often. Great drive.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sevenfourate General Chat 5
sevenfourate General Chat 122
Chris General Chat 66
R Clio General Chat 8
Mike General Chat 19