Holidays 2017

Will do our usual Sept/Oct tour of the west coast of America probably. Was debating giving it a miss this year because of the racist bigot but flight prices are coming down due to the massive decrease in tourism. It's going to be hard to say no.

Its a great part of the world to visit the west coast of america i did it in 2015 for my honeymoon .

Its a great part of the world to visit the west coast of america i did it in 2015 for my honeymoon .

Did it the first time for our honeymoon too. Been back every year since. It has everything I love in abundance.

Over the years we've covered everything from Astoria in OR (Goonies!!!) down to San Diego. Might go a bit further north this time and hit Seattle.

Reactions: mr freeze
Did it the first time for our honeymoon too. Been back every year since. It has everything I love in abundance.

Over the years we've covered everything from Astoria in OR (Goonies!!!) down to San Diego. Might go a bit further north this time and hit Seattle.

We did LA and san francisco including yosmite national park which i really enjoyed and last stop las vegas . San diego , Astoria and seattle are on my list of places to visit i hope you visited the the goonies house in astoria :smile: . I'am off to florida in a few weeks which i'am looking forward to and hoping to do vancouver to lake louise canada in the summer . You can't beat seeing the world :smiley: Where you looking to visit this year ?

We did LA and san francisco including yosmite national park which i really enjoyed and last stop las vegas . San diego , Astoria and seattle are on my list of places to visit i hope you visited the the goonies house in astoria :smile: . I'am off to florida in a few weeks which i'am looking forward to and hoping to do vancouver to lake louise canada in the summer . You can't beat seeing the world :smiley: Where you looking to visit this year ?

Yosemite is still on our list mate. Really keen to do that, it looks absolutely stunning.

Of course we did the Goonies bit mate. No brainer. Cannon Beach is superb for a bit of pretend Goonies too. Most of the best sunsets I've ever seen are on that beach.

As for this year, we always have two definite stops. We stay with friends in San Diego and we have friends in Southern OR who run a weed farm. Always entertaining. Other than that, I'm not sure. We did a couple of days in wine country in the Willamette Valley in OR. Absolutely stunning booze and scenery. My new favourite thing to do! So we might explore that a bit further. And as I say, I fancy seeing Seattle too.

I've seen quite a bit of the US and Oregon is definitely my favourite state. It's like Vermont but with great weather! If you do Astoria, definitely make the trip a little way down the coast and catch a sunset at Cannon Beach. So worth it. And if you have time, it's a long drive but I can SO advise a night at Timberline Lodge which is 6000ft up almost at the summit of Mount Hood and where The Shining was filmed. Oh and Crater Lake is incredible too.

I really wanna go now writing all that!

Jealous you're off to Florida soon! Have a good one.

Reactions: mr freeze
lovely..on my bucket list too to do a cruise..

I'll have to report back either here or a new thread @Pav and @Chris once I've come off the ship if you two are interested?

For now I can't recommend Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) enough for service in booking and asking questions. Plus got a real good deal with them, miles better than any travel agent we visited n contacted etc.

It's what they call "freestyle cruising" so it's more laid back than some, i.e. No tuxedos and dinner dresses for formal meals etc which some ships demand you have to attend. That having said, the quality is still top notch etc.

Worth looking into if you're thinking about it.

Plus we got a free drinks package so all our drinks are free :drunk:

Tallin (Estonia) for a Stag do (first Stag Do I'll have been on :smiley:) - should be around August time

and then

Singapore and Bali for 3 weeks in September - can't wait for that, did Thailand a couple of years ago so hoping it will be a similar experience.

Yosemite is still on our list mate. Really keen to do that, it looks absolutely stunning.

Did Yosemite National Park in September last year with some friends as part of a bigger California trip. All I can say is make sure you have a good few days there, it's absolutely breathtaking. Hiking isn't really our thing but we spent a day doing a trail up to the top of half dome and back again and the views of the valley were unlike anything else. New item on my travel list is to go back there for a week and just hike around the park.

Here's a sneak peak of the view;

23sek2p.jpg

Reactions: Pav
I'll have to report back either here or a new thread @Pav and @Chris once I've come off the ship if you two are interested?

For now I can't recommend Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) enough for service in booking and asking questions. Plus got a real good deal with them, miles better than any travel agent we visited n contacted etc.

It's what they call "freestyle cruising" so it's more laid back than some, i.e. No tuxedos and dinner dresses for formal meals etc which some ships demand you have to attend. That having said, the quality is still top notch etc.

Worth looking into if you're thinking about it.

Plus we got a free drinks package so all our drinks are free :drunk:
free drinks??bloody hell you'll have a good time for sure!!yeah report back..my workmate does 1 every year..she can't praise it enough..really loves a cruise..

Did Yosemite National Park in September last year with some friends as part of a bigger California trip. All I can say is make sure you have a good few days there, it's absolutely breathtaking. Hiking isn't really our thing but we spent a day doing a trail up to the top of half dome and back again and the views of the valley were unlike anything else. New item on my travel list is to go back there for a week and just hike around the park.

I'm SO up for it mate. Everyone I've ever spoken to about it says exactly the same as you guys in this thread.

Of course we did the Goonies bit mate. No brainer. Cannon Beach is superb for a bit of pretend Goonies too. Most of the best sunsets I've ever seen are on that beach.

As for this year, we always have two definite stops. We stay with friends in San Diego and we have friends in Southern OR who run a weed farm. Always entertaining. Other than that, I'm not sure. We did a couple of days in wine country in the Willamette Valley in OR. Absolutely stunning booze and scenery. My new favourite thing to do! So we might explore that a bit further. And as I say, I fancy seeing Seattle too.

I've seen quite a bit of the US and Oregon is definitely my favourite state. It's like Vermont but with great weather! If you do Astoria, definitely make the trip a little way down the coast and catch a sunset at Cannon Beach. So worth it. And if you have time, it's a long drive but I can SO advise a night at Timberline Lodge which is 6000ft up almost at the summit of Mount Hood and where The Shining was filmed. Oh and Crater Lake is incredible too.

I really wanna go now writing all that!

Jealous you're off to Florida soon! Have a good one.

Yosemite is by far the most breath taking place i have ever been you won't regret visiting it mate .

Is cannon beach where they filmed the ending of Goonies ? I really want to visit crater lake and see the redwoods on the coast in south OR its on my bucket list :smile: I'd really like to see where the shining was filmed me and the wife like visiting places out of movies .

I'am looking forward to florida more than my kids :laughing:

Yosemite is by far the most breath taking place i have ever been you won't regret visiting it mate .

Is cannon beach where they filmed the ending of Goonies ? I really want to visit crater lake and see the redwoods on the coast in south OR its on my bucket list :smile: I'd really like to see where the shining was filmed me and the wife like visiting places out of movies .

I'am looking forward to florida more than my kids :laughing:

Properly jealous. Some really good breweries in FL too! :smile:

Yes to Cannon Beach. Look up sunsets there on google images. You can stay pretty much on the beach for reasonably cheap as well.

Crater Lake is glorious mate. Been there three times. Would go again. And you can just drive right up to it too. Dead easy.

I can't recommend staying a night in Timberline Lodge enough. Great restaurant there and the view is stunning obviously as you're 6000ft up. But if you know The Shining, it's an absolute TRIP. There's even a big axe in reception with "here's Johnny" written on it. Good drive up there too.

Feel free to shout if you ever want advice. I can point you to some really great places to stay all over OR.

As for Yosemite, I think this thread is the kick up the bum I needed. This could be the year!

:smile:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
sevenfourate General Chat 5
sevenfourate General Chat 122
sevenfourate General Chat 34
R Clio General Chat 8
Mike General Chat 19