How many of you have HID lights ??

Hey guys.

I have got a 197 with projector lamps and was wondering how many of you have fitted HID's to yours?

I have a 172 with xenons and when i drive this i miss them loads!

Not too worried about taking the bumper off to fit, etc. But dont want to get halfway through and find out they wont fit properly.

Can anyone reccomend a kit they have used that they have had a good experience with?

Sorry to not be much help here but all i would certainly say is get a kit that is good quality, i dont think getting one of the cheap kits will do you any good. From what i have seen, you need to pay a fair amount but you do get a good result. Certainly worth thinking about!

Also i do remember reading that HID's work ok with the projector headlights due to the design being as it is, this means the light doesnt scatter in a random fashion like you would expect from lesser designed headlights......my old saxo for example :wink:

I got these in 4300k and am really pleased with them http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-co...pervision-50w-single-beam-hid-kits-p-283.html

Worth noting that MOTs are meant to be changing soon to clamp down on these aftermarket HID kits. To pass the MOT the car should have auto-headlamp levelling, projectors and headlamp washers. Its possible to fit the washers aftermarket but the auto-levelling would be too much effort. However, might be best to buy a blank for the levelling switch for MOT time

I have a 6000K kit in my 200's projectors.

I'll find a pic...

Spot on.

Cheeers lads.

Yea MOT shouldnt be a problem for me..

How did you find them to fit? For eg. Moutning the ballasts, i have had a look and room is less than minimal.

I got these in 4300k and am really pleased with them http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-co...pervision-50w-single-beam-hid-kits-p-283.html

Worth noting that MOTs are meant to be changing soon to clamp down on these aftermarket HID kits. To pass the MOT the car should have auto-headlamp levelling, projectors and headlamp washers. Its possible to fit the washers aftermarket but the auto-levelling would be too much effort. However, might be best to buy a blank for the levelling switch for MOT time

Just had a look Ben. They seem reasonable. :thumbup1:

Did you have any problems when you fit them? I remember reading on here someone having problems with clipping the bulbs in, etc.

Thus why i want a kit someone has used and all is correct.

I have a set of 6K HID's fitted to my projector lamps.

I would 100% recomend slim ballasts because space is quite limited in the engine bay!

How did you find them to fit? For eg. Moutning the ballasts, i have had a look and room is less than minimal.

I was replacing my reflector headlamps with projectors so had the headlamps out anyway, I used the supplied adhesive pads to stick them to the underneath of the headlamps, completely invisible when looking in the engine bay

Just had a look Ben. They seem reasonable. :thumbup1:

Did you have any problems when you fit them? I remember reading on here someone having problems with clipping the bulbs in, etc.

Thus why i want a kit someone has used and all is correct.

No problems at all, straight fit. Obviously you have to make a hole in the rubber backing to the light for the wiring to come out but thats the same with any kit.

hid's do look good.

as of the moment, it isnt an mot requirement to have washers and levellers is it? its just the law, so is only enforced by the police? probs easier to just whip them out come mot time, cant take long.

stumbled across an american forum earlier...hids and custom headlights are a big thing! Would so love to do what some of them do over there. reflective parts removed and sprayed colours, projectors changed and light cut of points altered, they can also do what they call the prism effect which makes the like look all funky colours!

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/content.php?108-January-RFOTM

DSC_4550h.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqcTJz-Jz-4&feature=player_embedded
Retro fitting ftw! some of the stuff they've done on there is insane, would love to have a crack at customising all the light units.

ill just settle for some hids for now though....once ive found a replacement for the cornering lights

Last edited:
Think I'll be buying a set of those HIDs you have Daz for when I get my 200 projectors. They look sweet!

Just done mine, 6000K's look sweet

am I right in saying that my 197 with projectors are a H1 bulb?
Thanks

That's right mate...I'm gunna put a how to together tomorrow so hopefully it will help:001_unsure: