How to; Fix a broken lumbar support (standard seats)

I just fixed the broken lumbar support wire. I thought I would share how I did it in case someone has the same problem. Good luck.

1. Follow the workshop manual to remove the seat and the seat back cover (see this post). Search for "complete front seat removal" and "front seat back" to find the instructions. Make sure you check if you have phase 1 or 2 seats. Note that the Recaros are reffered to as sports seats in the manual, so the standards are not "sports seats".

Once you're done your seat will look like this (I have a left hand drive car). The lumbar support is a steel whire which runs across the seat inside the black sleeve.
Seat%20back.png

Check if the wire is snapped or if it has simply popped out of the frame on the outside frame.
If it has snapped you need to replace it with a stainless steel 1.6mm brake wire from a mountain bike.
To do that you must snap of the rivet holding the worm drive to the inside seat frame. This photo shows where the rivet has been cut off and replaced with a 4mm bolt and nut.
Worm%20drive%20shaft%20and%20bolt.jpg

The worm drive must be opened and the broken wire removed. The pocket for the ball end on the new braking wire needs to be drilled to accept the slightly larger ball end on the braking wire. Use a 7.2mm (best) or 7.5mm (ok) drill bit. Sorry, I forgot to snap a photo of this. Reassemble the worm drive making sure the ball end is visible in the opening in the bottom of the worm drive. You will see what I mean when you have the parts in front of you.

Once the new wire is in push it through the sleeves and install the worm drive on the seat frame using a 4mm bolt, two washers and a nut. Use loctite or similar thread locker.
Worm%20drive%20inside.png

Pull the wire through the opposite hole in the seat frame.

Cut a small piece of brake wire sleeve and push it onto the wire. This is pushed into the hole to prevent the wire from chafing against the sheet metal frame.
Sleeve.jpg

Now you need to judge the right height for the new fixing bolt you will install. Pull the wire loosely around the
outside of the frame towards the back of the car. Mark a point where the wire will draw a line through the hole in the frame withouth rubbing on the upper or lower edge. Drill an 8mm hole in this location. The photo below shows my bolt installed with the thick, large washers and the wire loosely draped around it. Notice the sleeve in the hole to stop chafing.
Bolt%20before%20torqueing.jpg

This is how it looks after adjusting the length and tightening the bolt. Make sure you get some thick big washers, especially the one inside the frame is important, to give some support to the sheat metal.
After%20torqueing.jpg

I don't need this (thankfully), but well done for going to the effort of writing a how-to and taking pictures. It's things like this that drew me to this forum in the first place - hopefully lots will find this useful!

As i climbed into my car the other week I heard a loud *ping* as my lumbar support gave way, so seeing this makes me happy :smile:

I don't think I'll be fixing it anytime soon as I've just changed brakes all round, the n/s lower arm, both link arms, the hub & bearing... I need a weekend off from the workshop!

Reactions: Jimmy