197: How to perfect start?

Hi all, i got a 57 plate 197 and Im just wondering, as it seems im rubbish at quick starts off the line, What revs should i be putting on for the best start possible?
At the moment im getting beat off the line by an mr2 for gods sake :| Any help would be great!

Put the loud pedal on the floor. Then lift the clutch :wink:

Just play around and see how it reacts with different revs.

tbh, i find they're a bit of a bitch to get quick off the line. Normally involves high revs and keeping the clutch just below bite point.

Nice way to wear it quickly though.

Just gotta get used to getting the clutch up to its perfect point right away, then once its moving slam the gas pedal down and lift up the clutch (simultaneously) and your away. I usually aimed for around 2500-3000 revs when going for a quick start, then for the split second you start moving have a smooth transition all the way to the floor and wait for the bleep!

On my last quick start I beat a bike to the next traffic light lol! Was quite funny as I saw his hand slip off his accelerator and that was game over for him :smiley:

MR2 will have better traction from a standing start, don't worry too much.

Clutches aren't cheap for the 197/200 by the way! :smiley:

Is the MR2 a turbo?

I've seen them doing 5 sec 0-60 so that could be why.

ESP/ASR off
3-4000rpm depending of the road condition(s)
USE YOUR CLUTCH to distribute torque, and if you can use your handbrake to stop the car from moving while having the car on the clutch
when you need to launch - redistribute evenly (you need to have a feeling for it) your clutch and your throttle
change gear @7450 or if you have a remapped car - @7650-7700rpm so you don't miss the 2nd gear

the result :smiley:

[YOUTUBE]m7tHkmZDwAs[/YOUTUBE]

Kadett was on R888:

[YOUTUBE]jzD1JxffxiY[/YOUTUBE]

Golf II G60 vs Clio 197 vs Clio 172 ITB (he was just "cruising"):

[YOUTUBE]pGD3FgMiWEQ[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]3MepnZ0iMyg[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]lQ7WAoIqQD0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
EDITED the post with some more posts...

Of course, I/you can't always get the proper launch, but with practice, in 90% cases you can.

However...I had to change 2 clutches in 65kkm...:smiley: