I'm coming out.... 3rd Gear issue's

JamesB

Platinum Member
Soooooo the time has come..

While on one of the stops on the Wales run last weekend i was talking to [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] about my crunchy gearbox which required a lot a patience on the day in question, its not normally to bad but the sheer abuse i was giving the car on the day made me wonder whether i should bite the bullet and just get it rectified. It only really crunches when i block change from 6th into a roundabout or sharp corner if i really try to throw it in on a downshift/if I'm accelerating quickly and am trying to throw it into gear hard. However if i rev match when changing down its a lot better..

I basically just want to know peoples experience of this known issue and what the best course of action is. My 3 options are.....

1. Speak to Renault nicely and see how low i can get it.
  2. Buy a refurd box on ebay
  3. let it persist and then inevitably breakdown in a really inconvenient place

What's the best thing to do?

I'm gonna get it done in the next few weeks, apparently it can stop it altogether if your lucky? What's the best fully synthetic oil to use?

Have the third crunch only slightly... Changed oil and made no difference. Also spoken to Renault UK and still works out stupidly expensive. Think I'm going to just buy a replacement online and have it fitted by a garage near me who have a cheap hourly rate.

hi mate..as mentioned above..1st thing to do is to change the oil...its always a tough call but at the end of the day you wanna be sure you have done everything possible before you go down the new gearbox route...
some people report that fitting a lower torque link made the gear changes smoother...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...Engine-Torque-Link-F-Rd-REN420M-/110843260788
if it doesnt help,well you will need to bite the bullet then...hope you get it sorted without spending a fortune..

To be fair, my 3rd and 4th are massively notchy and sometimes it takes a second or two to get in but I just keep the revs up by pumping the throttle and it'll sort itself out, just means I can't go faster until it's in. Might be worth just waiting until it fails on you? I mean, if you're cool with spending £500 or more, then okay, but to be fair, you can just wait until it finally pops to get your moneys worth out of what's already in there.

I agree with getting the oil changed first, and then bleeding the clutch. Start with the cheaper options and then at the very least you are eliminating possible causes.

If it's going to be a new box, got to be worth at least speaking to Renault to see what they could do? Even a small contribution is better than paying the entire amount out of your own pocket.

EDIT: Also, have a read at this thread, specifically the posts about spraying lubricant on the gear selector cables. Just something else you could try :smile:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?46200-Another-gearbox-oil-thread&highlight=selector

Last edited: