Issues bleeding clutch

Darksheep

Gold Member
Hiall, i was having issues with my clutch and i kept needing to rebleed it to stop some pretty bad dragging and stiff gear changes. The frequency of the bleed started to increase so i just changed the slave cylinder (and clutch whilst it was out), i also removed the inline delay valve at the same time with a braided hose from ktr.
Now, i’d read that i needed to prime the slave before fitting which i did (at the time i was happy it was done!). But now after refitting the box etc i cannot seem to get all the air out. I have bled it by pumping fluid through using the pedal, i have back bled it by pumping fluid into the nipple at the g/b end and also tried pulling a vacuum at the nipple to try and suck any air out (with pedal pressed to close system). I am left thinking i may have done a bad job priming the slave… is it possible to bleed the slave at all whilst on the car?? Hoping i dont need to strip it all down again! Alternatively might i have a dodgy master cylinder?
Any insight much appreciated!!

Priming them doesnt require as much fluid as you would think. They obviously compress as you push the gearbox on and push fluid back through which helps to get the air out of the slave.

I've always bled mine up with a large syringe and the clutch pedal all the way up, try your vacuum technique without having the pedal depressed.

You mean still feed from the reservoir but suck it through from the bottom at the g/b with a syringe,right?
Hadn’t tried that but will give it a go!
Thanks for the reply!!

Still dragging like a bi@tch… no chance of getting in any gear with the engine running. Barely starts in gear with clutch down (had to do this to move it the other day)

That doesn’t sound good. Maybe not a bleeding issue?
I’ve never really had much trouble bleeding in the normal way and I never prime them beforehand.

I never primed mine either. I think I opened the bleed, depressed clutch, closed bleed and released clutch. Did that a few times and all was well for me.

Have you checked for any leaks at the master? Also worth checking the rectangular hole at the bottom of the gearbox for fluid indicating a leak at the slave.

1693906662843.jpeg
It is in Dutch but you might Google translate it or search the Internet for the English version. Following these steps wil get all the air out of the slave.

View attachment 155500
It is in Dutch but you might Google translate it or search the Internet for the English version. Following these steps wil get all the air out of the slave.
After this is done, bleed the master cylinder the ‘manual’ way as well for about 8 to 10 times and finally make sure the clutch switch (cruise control switch) is adjusted properly to get rid of the ‘lagging’ feeling.